Tiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am removing tiling but the plaster skim coat is coming off -it seems to be blown - can I tile onto the rough coat of plaster underneath. Wall is solid block.

Sponsored Links
I am not an expert! But I can think of 3 things I would check out:

Using the tile adhesive to baulk out the gap to a depth beyond that recommended - if relevant in your case. It may weaken the bond by using more.

Bonding to the underlying plaster. You may need to reseal it. PVA solution or equivalent for the type of plaster you have.

Applying the adhesive to an uneven surface. Could be tricky spreading it off with a tool. Could leave deep pockets of adhesive where you push the tile in to fix and it sinks on one corner/side. Messy to get back out again due to suction.

Have you tried soaking the tiles through the grout? Not sure if this is really practical/advisable but I have cleaned cementious adhesive off the back of tiles for re-use by soaking in hot water. So it may loosen them a bit.

Can understand you not wanting it re-skimmed. You could easily be charged £200 for even a small area as they will want to committ a whole day.

Just some possible pointers. Someone feel free to correct me

the surface behind needs to be smooth, sound and flat. That being said it doesnt have to be perfect as in a finished plastered surface that you would paint. if the patches are not to great you can patch in with a cement and sand render. Wet the wall first, apply with a trowel so that its slightly proud. As it starts to go off, pull across it with a piece of batten, using the existing patches as a guide to get it to the same level. Leave it to dry and you have a good surface for tiling. Its inexpensive and easily done

Thermo

Sponsored Links
if you have lost the skim which is quite often the case dont worry. prepare the wall with pva. and just tile as usual if you are any good at applying the adhesive (do not buy cheap adhesives/grout)you can over come it. like anything practise makes perfect. i have just removed the tiles from my kitchen the were cemented on to a sand and cement plaster that was still damp when the tiles were put on i had to kango them off which was actually pulling bricks out of of the wall. so relax it could be worse, losing the skim is a minor problem

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back