Tiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just removed old tiles from the kitchen walls. The top surface of the plaster board has lifted. Can I attach new tiles directly onto this surface, or can I plaster skim over the boards then tile, or is there an alternative

Sponsored Links
If it's not too deep, just give it a 5:1 coat of pva and the adhesive should take up the irregularities. Tile as normal.

If you're concerned about the strength of the drywall as a result of removing too much of the surface paper, you can rebuild that wall by:

a) running strips of fiberglass mesh drywall tape over that bare paper in both the vertical and horizontal direction, then...

b) painting over that fiberglass mesh with a concrete bonding agent (which will already be of a paintable consistancy). You could use diluted white wood glue instead of concrete bonding agent if this is a dry area.

As the adhesive dries, it will bond the fiberglass mesh to the paper, thereby replacing the strength of the missing paper.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back