Tiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First timer here so Hi to you all.
I am upgrading my bathroom that is fully tiled there are some tiles coming off over the bath/shower wall and the wall is bulging. I suspect the plaster has started to come away from the walls due to water inclusion so I expect that when I start to remove the old tiles I will loose the plaster as well. My questions are:
1. Should I remove all the plaster? If so can I use Dry lining boards to replace thie plaster?
2. Is there an adhesive that will allow me to stick the boards directly to the brickwork?
My reasoning is that I can tile directly to the plasterboard and achieve a flatter/straighter wall. \can anyone help? And am I on the right track please?

Many thanks osca3rd

Sponsored Links
Hi and welcome to the forum.
In answer to your questions....
1. If when you remove the tiles the plaster is loose or sounds hollow when you tap it, you should remove it. If it's just in a few small places you can simply patch these areas up.
Yes you can remove all the plaster and put up plasterboard.

2. Yes, almost any powdered tile adhesive will do this without a problem problem.

Yes you can tile directly onto plasterboard with no preparation except it's recommended that you tank the walls around shower areas before you tile. http://www.trades-direct.co.uk/modules/shop/view.asp?Prodcode=9005-101

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back