Tillng hardboard floor in bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey I'm wanting to tile the floor in my bathroom its only 2 meters squared. It's a new property so the floor will be hardboard I think I can't tell untill I remove the old lino. Can I tile straight on to the hardwood if I prime it, or do I need to ply the floor? Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
if it is as you say Hardboard, it is no good as a subtrate, you have the option of overboarding with ply 12mm being the thinnest, or lifting your hardboard and replacing with either 19mm or 25mm ply, if replacing with ply you will need to seal/prime the edges and underside of the boards before you fit them, secure the boards (regardless if overboarding or not) at 150- 200 mm centres, make sure the board is well screwed down and secure

fred...how you doing mate.... :LOL: :LOL:

how did the brokenbond tiling go?????...(brick effect)... ;)

how many bathrooms have you got!!!!!!....

blackpool...is it a B&B... :LOL: :LOL:

if it is as you say Hardboard, it is no good as a subtrate, you have the option of overboarding with ply 12mm being the thinnest, or lifting your hardboard and replacing with either 19mm or 25mm ply, if replacing with ply you will need to seal/prime the edges and underside of the boards before you fit them, secure the boards (regardless if overboarding or not) at 150- 200 mm centres, make sure the board is well screwed down and secure

I will have to ply its then. Why is it no good to tile on to the hardboard if primed?
I no you have to plyfloor boards because of the movement.

Sponsored Links
fred...how you doing mate.... :LOL: :LOL:

how did the brokenbond tiling go?????...(brick effect)... ;)

how many bathrooms have you got!!!!!!....

blackpool...is it a B&B... :LOL: :LOL:

The brokenbond went well I managed to get full tile rap around.
I work as a plumber but do the odd bit off tiling on jobs I do am trying to pick it up more.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back