Floor tiling disaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm halfway through re-tiling my bathroom floor.

I pulled up the floor and the previous owner had used hardboard under the floor tiles. So I just copied that bought new hardboard, cut it all to shape and now have several wobbly tiles.

Having now done my research it seems I should probably have laid 25mm ply as the floor's not that flat.

1. Can I rescue the wobbly tiles?

2. Do I need to just scrap it and start again?

3. I have two tiles that need small sections cut out for the radiator pipe. It doesn't seem worth renting a wet saw to do it and chipping away at them with tile cutters breaks them every time. Any suggestions?

I'm crap at DIY but this website really helps. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
1. Can I rescue the wobbly tiles?
Possible,if you can lift them out with a chisel or scraper depending on the adhesive used you may be able to soak them and remove it (sometimes works :) )

2. Do I need to just scrap it and start again?
You will definatley need to take up the hardboard,you will then need to board over with 12mm wbp ply,screw down with 30mm screws so as not to pierce and pipes under the floor every 200mm.
When refixing use a flexi 1 part adhesive you will also need a flexi grout
Im sure one of the guys on here will be along soon to recommend a bal product :LOL:

3. I have two tiles that need small sections cut out for the radiator pipe. It doesn't seem worth renting a wet saw to do it and chipping away at them with tile cutters breaks them every time. Any suggestions?
Depending on the tiles and your patience you could use a tile hand saw but wet saws are much easier and give a better finish ;)

I thought I would have to start again. Which is annoying but I suppose you should do your research first.

Managed to find a 600w tile saw in Homebase this morning so i'll see how that works.

Thanks for your help.

Managed to find a 600w tile saw in Homebase this morning so i'll see how that works.
For such a small job that should be fine,I brought a cheap one in feb,10 months,11 bathrooms,2 kitchens plus floors and fireplaces and its still ticking along,(had 2 new blades though :D )

Hope it goes well for you and Merry New year!!

Sponsored Links
So just to confirm:

I CAN use 12 or 18mm WBP on a concrete floor to tile on? Seems dead simple compared to pouring screed/levelling etc. Would I need to prepare the floore beforehand in some way or install those vapour barrier sheet thingies?

Application:
Plan to stick down some Travertine/granite/marble or porcelain tiles in a kitchen

Warmest Regards

So just to confirm:

I CAN use 12 or 18mm WBP on a concrete floor to tile on? Seems dead simple compared to pouring screed/levelling etc. Would I need to prepare the floore beforehand in some way or install those vapour barrier sheet thingies?

Application:
Plan to stick down some Travertine/granite/marble or porcelain tiles in a kitchen

Warmest Regards

if it's concrete use self leveling floor screed quicker than boarding ans sets in no time.

As seco says the best thing would be to screed the floor first when working on a concrete base.Only ply when tiling on a wooden floor.[/quote]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back