Tiling a floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about tile a floor in my dining room using ceramic tiles, I have fixed hardboard down to the exsisting floorboards screwing every 4 inches to make sure its nice and flat, now I have been told that I should put a watered down mix of PVA to stop the wood being so porous is this right or just tile straight down?

Sponsored Links
I'm about tile a floor in my dining room using ceramic tiles, I have fixed hardboard down to the exsisting floorboards screwing every 4 inches to make sure its nice and flat, now I have been told that I should put a watered down mix of PVA to stop the wood being so porous is this right or just tile straight down?

As said above, use flexi adhesive and tile away, PVA should never be used in conjunction with tiling,

NOT a tiler, but i have done a few walls..

is Hardboard ok for a tiled floor? isn"t it a bit bendy?

Sponsored Links
Well spotted TCR, I should have commented on that not being a good idea, but I skimmed and didn't notice it. Hardboard is often wetted first, and then laid, and that stops is curling up if it gets wet. It's possible that it may react to the moisture in the adhesive. The OP should be using at least 6mm plywood, not hardboard, and would be better of redoing it before proceeding.

NOT a tiler, but i have done a few walls..

is Hardboard ok for a tiled floor? isn"t it a bit bendy?

I misread that as well, I actually thought it said hardie board ( hardie backer board I assumed ) personally I would never ever use hardboard, wbp ply or backer board

Plys okay, it evens out any movement of the floorboards, but wbps no good, and backer boards don't cover enough area, and give you too many joins.

Can't quite see the point of putting hardboard down. You'd be better with a cement board (6mm no more ply glued and screwed). And PVA should never be used when tiling. Acrylic or SBR.

Well you live and learn, I heven't seen the hardie board in that size before, but I'd still be reluctant to use it unless the floor was very flat. And sorry about the WBP, I was thinking of OSB.

Excuse me whilst I go and crawl back into my hole.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well you live and learn, I heven't seen the hardie board in that size before, but I'd still be reluctant to use it unless the floor was very flat. And sorry about the WBP, I was thinking of OSB.

Ecuse me whilst I go and crawl back into my hole.

no worries at all mate, wasn't having a dig, was just interested in the reasoning behind your reply, maybe you knew something I didn't, we all live and learn, including me ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back