Covering floor tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a conservatory with very old and not very nice floor tiles and want to put lino down as carpet is not very practical with the parties we have in there!

The problem is that the tiles do not have flat faces and the grout is slightly below the surface of the tile, obviously over time the lino would mould to the tiles giving an uneven floor.

I was thinking of putting down a very thin ply wood covering to the floor and putting the lino on top. What is the best way of fixing the wood to the tiles?

Would I need to drill through in hundreds of places and screw the board down?

Look forward to your advice!

Sponsored Links
best thing to do is get them tiles up mate, if they r that old you might find that they come up quite easily with hammer and chisel. for a pukka job self level the floor then you have a perfect base for lino

definitely get the tiles up, the extra work you'd create by trying to lay the lino on top of them just isnt worth it. If you party hard in there - you may be better off getting new tiles instead of lino? just a thought...

Sponsored Links
If you take the tiles up, you're almost guaranteed to need remedial work to get a smooth surface. Ideally, remove the tiles and self level. If you have no intention of re-tiling in future, as mentioned, just self level over the tiles then lay your flooring.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back