Tiling onto PVA'd concrete with residual lino glue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone

I'm just refreshing a kitchen and stripped it all back to find glued on lino flooring. Has taken a long while to manually scrape this stuff off and now I am left with bare concrete but there is a sheen of residual glue from the old lino. You could not scrape the glue layer off, it's so thin and transparent, but the surface is a little tacky.

I remember a similar problem in the bathroom where I tiled directly onto this thin glue and the tile adhesive appeared to wet the glue and it mixed into the tile adhesive causing it not to set very well.

I have read a few folk advising PVAing the surface neat. Is that then good to go for BAL rapidset floor adhesive for ceramic floor tiles?

Advice appreciated, hoping to do this tomorrow ...

Cheers guys :)

Sponsored Links
Sounds like it’s a water soluble adhesive; standard PVA won’t help either as that’s also water soluble & the 2 together may make matters a lot worse. If you cant wash it off, better using an SBR based sealer;
http://194.223.92.131/pdf/Technical Data Sheets/B & C Technical Data Sheets/BAL_Bond_SBR.pdf
But Rapidset is a pretty good cement based adhesive & will pretty much stick to anything.

Using standard PVA as a primer for tiling is not a good idea as it’s water soluble, affects the adhesive setting time & may reduce tile adhesion; & never use it in a wet area.

3 things you could do..

1...bal sbr over the floor,depends how big an area,could cost you a few ££ for it.
2...2 part latex over it.
3...slurry coat over it ...2part cement 1 part bal sbr.."dampen floor first" then slurry coat when goes tacky tile away... ;)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back