Tiling kitchen/diner floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We are currently having our kitchen and diner knocked through in to one room and it is almost complete so once the kitchen is fitted I will be looking at tiling the floor.

The dining room is all floorboards so I know that I will need to fix some WBP ply down to tile over, the current kitchen side is a mixture of concrete at one side and the old red tiles on the other. Should I ply the dining room side then put some self levelling compund down in the kitchen side to bring it up level with the WBP then tile through?

This is the bit that I'm a bit unsure of. Not even sure if I'm going to do it myself or not. Not tiled before so don't want it to be a bodge job when we are putting a nice kitchen in.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
You can use a cement backer board instead of ply. IMO this performs better and is cheaper.

The real issue you will have is that the wood/cement will move at different rates so you will need to deal with the movement at the point of the join. The usual way to handle this is a decoupling membrane such as ditra matting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back