Laying Floor tile in Kitchen / Diner

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

This is my first post, so apologies if this is a stupid question, or it is covered in the "Sticky", which I have read.

I have knocked together two rooms, the kitchen and dining room, so the room is abot 28 sq metre.

The kitchen floor is concrete, covered with those 1930's terracotta tiles, the dining room is nearly all original floorboards all screwed down, and now covered with 1/2" exterior grade ply, again all screwed down firmly.

The two floors are all but level with each other now, but I know I need to put down a self levelling compund.

Questions:

Do I need to use a different type of self levelling compound for each type of floor ?

What preparation do I need to do to tile straight onto the terracota tiles ?

Once the floor is prepped and level, do I have to use a different types of tile adhesive for each floor ?

Are there any other considerations I need to take into account when tiling across different types of floor ?

Thanks for your time.

If pictures would help, I can supply them pretty quickly.

Ps. I wish I had found this site, about 6 months ago.

many thanks
Aaron

Sponsored Links
Hi. Welcome
Why do you need to use self leveling compound, if you have what you say you have on the floor, or do you mean there is a difference in floor levels between the 2 rooms.?

Hi Diyisfun

There is a slight difference in floor levels between the 2 floors. And the terracotta tiles are almost level (only a wee bit out really), so I was advised to use the slc on them.

The ply base is also only slightly out, surprisingly.

I hope this makes sense.

cheers
Aaron

I joined 2 rooms, 1 was concrete the other floor boards, I laid ply over the whole lot.
If the two rooms are not far out you should be able to use adhesive to level.

You will need 2 types of adhesive, flexible for the wood.

Sponsored Links
Just bare in mind that you'll probably end up with cracking of the grout or tiles occurring where the two floors meet. Look into fitting an expansion strip at this point.

Guys

Thank you for all you rreplies.

I realised that I should have stated - that I laid the 1/2 ply in the dining room to bring the dining room floor up to the level of the tiled concrete floor in the kitchen.

Gcol - where do I buy an expansion strip ? Will I get one where I get the tiles from ? Chances are high I'll be getting themfrom Topps Tiles.

Aaron

Hi guys

Thanks for all your info.

We have selected the tiles from Tile Depot.

Can someone provide me with a "shopping list" of exactly what I need for the slc, adhesive and grout. As there seems to be several different products that appear to do the same thing.

I'd like to use the BAL stuff if possible.. and I have decided to just the same flexible stuff throughout, as the area of concrete flooring is a small fraction of the overall project.

Also tile cutters, any recommendations ?
- as after this I have a bathroom and toilet to do, so figured hiring may be a flase economy.

many thanks
Aaron

Personally, I'd avoid slc on timber floors but if you insist, this will do the job on both timber and concrete http://www.pureadhesion.co.uk/category/38/self-levelling-compound
Adhesive http://www.trades-direct.co.uk/modules/shop/view.asp?Prodcode=2025-104
Grout http://www.trades-direct.co.uk/modules/shop/view.asp?Prodcode=2016-109
Tile cutters http://www.tradetiler.com/acatalog/rubi_manual_tile_cutter.html
For difficult cuts, use a decent continuous edged diamond blade in an angle grinder. Marcrist blades are the business (you can get them from the above trade tiler site) - expensive but they last ages and can be used for lots of different jobs - take today for instance..... padlock on work main gates had seized... went home for angle grinder with Marcrist blade... less than 30 secs, gate open. ;)

Thanks Gcol

If you don't recommend slc on timber, what would you recommend ?

The difference in floor height is 2-3 mm in places, in some places it is bugger all.

And many thanks for your replies, much appreciated.

Aaron

Guys

Is it ok to tile straight onto the terracotta tiles ? Or is there some preparation to do before tiling ?

I have been advised that I should rough up the terracotta tile surface with a quick rough sand, but I don't know if this is right.

Also is it ok to tile straight onto the ply ?

Again I have been advised to I have to PVA it first. But I thought I would check here first.

many thanks
Aaron

Is it ok to tile straight onto the terracotta tiles ? Or is there some preparation to do before tiling?
Just make sure that they're not polished with that horrible red quarry tile waxy polish. If not, just ensure they're clean (non greasy) and not dusty. Vacuum and mop twice.
I have been advised that I should rough up the terracotta tile surface with a quick rough sand, but I don't know if this is right.
No need.
Also is it ok to tile straight onto the ply?
Yes, as long as you use decent adhesive. Read the instructions on your adhesive bag. I recommend Bal single part flexible adhesive for peace of mind.
Again I have been advised to I have to PVA it first. But I thought I would check here first.
Good job you did. Forget PVA.

Thanks for that advice Gcol. Glad I checked first.

I have one more question, more to do with aesthetics than the actual mechanics of tiling.

The skirting board has yet to go on.

Would you tile right to the edge of the floor, then put the skirting board on.

Or skirting board on now, then tile the floor ?

cheers
Aaron

might as well do it afterwards gives you that extra bit of ley way on the edges fella

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back