Tiling Kitchen/Diner floor - centre?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am going to tile the kitchen and dining area as the existing laminate flooring needs to be replaced. Between the kitchen area and the dining area there is a 'island' (double floor unit) which separates them.

The kitchen area (because of the units) is smaller than the dining area. Should I use the center part of the kitchen area to start or the center of the dining area? When you enter the room, the door is in the kitchen. I think it should be kitchen but I would like to check. The tiles are 60x60cm and my wife wants them to line up i.e. corner to corner (not staggered like bricks on a house)

My previous tiling have only been small areas like utility rooms which has been very simple.

Hope this make some sense.

thanks

Sponsored Links
I would either make a scale drawing or simply lay a row of tiles running through each room's length and width.
That way you'll see where any odd cuts may have to be made and be able to jiggle the lines about to make it an easier job.

Thanks, I started to lay down some tiles to see what it would look like and I will use the center of the kitchen as my starting point.

I am sure I will be swearing a lot tomorrow when I get round to laying them

It's much easier to lay them out as a trial than cement them down and discover that you need a bit of tile 1/4" next to the wall

Sponsored Links
Sorry, that is what I meant, I have started to lay them down without sticking them to see what it is like to see what it looks like and how much of a 'cut' I need to make to the wall - so far it looks OK

I might have used the centre of the dining room as the datum line. Ideally you want the cuts where they meet the skirting to be the same width on both sides of the room.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back