floor tiling between two different floor levels

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My dining room and kitchen has been knocked into one large kitchen and I intend to floor tile across the new entire floor space now exposed.

what I have discovered is that the old dining room floor was slightly higher than the old kitchen floor, this means when I start tiling from one side of the new kitchen floor space , when I get to the middle there will be a slight drop(or rise depending on which side i start) which will affect the tiles level.

any ideas how to get round this?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
large sheets of plywood for floorboards and then I screwed down sheets of plywood over the top of that, I hoped that screwing down a sheet over the drop (4ft before the drop and 4th after the drop) would remove some of the dip but it is still present , you can feel it under your feet.

You will never get rid of such a large height difference by screwing ply over it, you will always notice it & the floor will flex, causing tile failure. Best way to do it would be to lift the over-boarding (what thickness is it?) lift the floor in the low area & either replace with thicker ply to make up the difference or fit packing strips to the joists & relay; or a combination of both. In a heavy traffic use kitchen/dining area, a suspended floor should also use 25mm WBP ply, anything less & the tiling could fail; the ply should also be WBP, not conventional ply boarding. You may also need a decoupling membrane between the two floors or it could crack where they meet; depends how it's constructed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back