Kitchen - Floor levels seriously out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, have a problem re levelling a floor that's way out.

The floor is from a kitchen to part way through a dining area. A wall has been knocked out to extend the kitchen part way into the dining area. The high point is in the top left of the kitchen and the low point is bottom right partway into the dining area. The floor is approx 55mm (2inch) out over a diagonal 3.6m (12ft) span.

Levelling the tiling area will create a step into the dining area, which is acceptable, but what can the area be filled with to level it.

ps. I also have the problem of having to re hang the back door which is thankfully solid wood with a stone step but in levelling the floor it would go over the step by about 15mm not including a tile and adhesive

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
granfix fibreflex 50 will let you go up to 50mm straight out of the bag, but you'll get through quite a few bags

thanks for the info people, I was afraid of that re cost effectiveness but it looks like I don't really have many options.

• 1. I could follow the floor but I think that would look awful.
    2. Board the deeppest area's and level over the board with a thinner level?
    3. Bite the bullet and just use Granfix Fibreflex 50 until I have it level.

Remember, the floor doesn't have to be level, it just needs to be flat. That is, there's nothing wrong with tiling on a slope.

I agree, I'm letting form over function come into it, its just a diagonal slope. I think I'm trying to bash a square peg into a rounded square hole lol!

AdamCH is right but 50mm is a big old drop - can't imagine it'll look right once the skirting etc is on.

Let me know if you need some help with calcs re: how many bags.

it gets worse tpt, it has concrete curved skirting - think coving on the floor made with concrete and you get the idea.

Its one of those jobs where you will either look like a god when its done or get dragged over hot coals because its not like they imagined.

have you thought about spliting the floor? with a tile axp strip??
you could find the highest spot and use deep base but mite cost abit what about freeflow screed
you could even hire a floor planer and take out the hight then just put a skin over the top:cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back