Slate floor tiling advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

New to the forum but just about to commence a full refurb on a house.

Need a bit of advice on whether it is possible to lay slate tiles in our soon to be created, knocked through, kitchen diner. The sub floors differ so I wonder if anyone has encountered a similar issue.

The kitchen is an extension from the previous owner so has a concrete screed and was previously tiled with regular floor tiles - the dining room currently has a solid wood. The kitchen floor is currently higher than the dining room due to the screed. Is there something we can lay ontop of the existing solid wood floor so that we can tile straight through?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Hi @coling1988 you could look at fixing a tile backer board to the solid wood floor? thickness vary, you can get 6, 10, 12.5 and 20mm Delta Boards. these are 600x1200 in size.

you will have to be wary of the different substrates meeting however, this will require an expansion strip

Hi @Lee@TileTown - thanks for the advice. I wonder if this one is best left to the professionals - I had looked at tile backers for the wood floor. There's probably about a 10mm jump between the screed and wood so would probably go down that route.

We are having the knock through done in the next week or two so will know in a bit more detail then.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back