Tiling kitchen floor , bitumen /parquet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i am mid way through prepping for new kitchen arrival and was looking for some advice on tiling later down the line. I have removed wall between dining and kitchen to create open space . floor in dining is 70 style parquet , looks to have bee varnished, kitchen had tiles on top of vinyl on top of more vinyl. All vinyl now removed to leave concrete floor with bitumen residue. My question is can i ply kitchen floor to bring up to same level as parquet and then tile over Ply and parquet, as parquet is solid with nasty bitumen paper underneath and would rather not remove it.? another reason for this is the adjoining hall has solid wood over parquet so significant height difference, raising kitchen floor would reduce the difference between hall and kitch. Pic attached showing what i have at this moment in time. thx J...
IMG_20160430_133140.jpg

Sponsored Links
little update on what i have been informed, topps tiles say i can score the 70s style parquet and lay backer board on the concrete floor to match parquet level, once in place and wood scored use flex adhesive across the lot.. comments anyone,, does this sound ok,, as dont want to start and end up throwing cash at tiles etc.?

I think that your best bet would be to lift the parquet and then hire a small floor grinder to clean off both floors in both rooms.
After a little filling in you would then have a level playing field.
Try for a shell with no appliances or units in place.

Parquet flooring isn't ideal for tiling onto either. I'd suggest either using BAL Fastflex which is suitable for straight over wood (still score it) or going the long hard route over tile backing boards.

Sponsored Links
if decided to remove all parquet and lay backer boards, what would is fix backer boards down with on bitumen excess.? just screw of fastflex and screw or something else.???. Or could i remove all parquet so back to one level screed with bitumen excess and apply seld levelling compound across whole area, hopefully leaving nice fresh flat surface to tile onto.???

Rip it back to scred and follow the manufacturer recommendations. BAL have a technical number on all their products and I've found the guys to be very knowledgeable and professional.

We had a very similar situation in ours where we took the wall out. In one room we had laminate on bitumen, and the other 2 sets of tiles.

I took out all the tiles and adhesive back to a flat finish. Then used self levelling compound where needed to make it level.
Next step was to coat the entire Bitumen surface in Eco Prim Grip:
http://www.tilemountain.co.uk/tiling-preparation/p/eco-prim-grip-5kg.html

Then I just used Keraquick adhesive to bond the tiles down.
Job done

freddy871, you are making things difficult for yourself.
By lifting the parquet and grinding all residues from both concrete surfaces you will be prepping a single suitable surface for fixing tile.

Whatever you mean by "bitumen paper" i dont know (there's no signs of "paper" in the photo) - I've never seen parquet or anything else laid on paper. How could any coverings such as parquet be securely fixed?
As for backer board: there is no need, why would you use it on a smooth concrete surface?
If you laid the BB on a lumpy uneven surface then thats what you would get on the BB surface.
And as for the idea of spreading SLC over a fresh coat of bitumen, well ...

Professionals prep properly because the finish is only as good as the prep, & professional work has to be guaranteed.

freddy871, you are making things difficult for yourself.
By lifting the parquet and grinding all residues from both concrete surfaces you will be prepping a single suitable surface for fixing tile.

Whatever you mean by "bitumen paper" i dont know (there's no signs of "paper" in the photo) - I've never seen parquet or anything else laid on paper. How could any coverings such as parquet be securely fixed?
As for backer board: there is no need, why would you use it on a smooth concrete surface?
If you laid the BB on a lumpy uneven surface then thats what you would get on the BB surface.
And as for the idea of spreading SLC over a fresh coat of bitumen, well ...

Professionals prep properly because the finish is only as good as the prep, & professional work has to be guaranteed.

I think maybe it's because you can't tile onto bitumen, however if you use that primer I posted, it's fine

Thanks all, In conclusion Vinn,s comments seem most appropriate, For those that care I spoke with BAL who will not recommend any products to tile onto bitumen or slatted parquet flooring. They passed me to ARDEX who will provide a SLC that can be applied to bitumen providing its fairly well cures and not tacky. All suggest as per Vinn , lift parquet and go floor planer route. Local hire £110 all in for planer and vac 1 day hire will get all back to screed which i can tile directly on top.

Thanks Vinn, sry was not a disbeliever but so many options/comments can get a bit confusing.. Now I have seen the light. (y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back