SLC on bitumen?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI there guys, hoping someone can give me some advice.
I am in the process of tiling the kitchen and dining room floor, i will be laying slate quarry tiles and the subbase is concrete. I have removed the previous parquet flooring and spent two days on my hands and knees with a heavy duty scraper trying to remove the bitumen residue from the concrete...fun! 10 scraper blades and as many blisters later i have got the thick bits of bitumen off the concrete but am left with residue in all the surface imperfections of the concrete.

My questions, whats the best thing to do next?

I have considered grinding the surface, hiring a diamond grinder or scabbler and taking the surface off

Laying a latex self levelling compound, not sure if this will stick to the bitumen residue, will concrete need to be treated before levelling

Tiling straight on to the concrete with an appropriate adhesive, no idea what this appropriate adhesive might be or even if there is one

Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links
Welcome to the forum.
You can tile on bitumen or concrete no problem. You don't need any fancy adhesive to tile on to a concrete or bitumen floor.
Have a read of the sticky in the tiling forum. Any further questions, just ask.

Thanks gcol

was just worried as the lad in the tile shop said i had to get all the bitumen off or the adhesive wouldn't stick!

Saves me a world of hurt

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back