Tiling on bitumen?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got an uneven concrete floor covered in a thin layer of bitumen (that stuck down the old floor tiles). The bitumen cannot be chipped or ground off (I've tried). I'm going to use self-leveling concrete and then tile on top, but should I coat the bitumen with something before I pour the concrete? Any advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
it CAN be chipped off or ground off, it just takes ages and wears out abour 3 dozen sanding / grinding disks.. and takes off a layer of concrete with it..

I just tiled straight over mine..
it's ok so far..

u could just put a slurry coat over it..
cement mixed with bal sbr that would do the trick for u.

I tend to get my blowtorch onto bitumin, then scrape it.

Welcome aboard tictic :D

Sponsored Links
Remember that if you are tiling a floor the tiles can't go down or sideways - so you can get away with all sorts of stuff you'd never get away with on a wall.

Thanks for all the advice. I'm working in a small enclosed space so I don't want to kick up too much dust. I bought a wire brush attachment for my grinder but that just polishes the bitumen to a smooth glassy finish. I heard that petrol dissolves it, but that's too risky in a closed space. A blow torch is also a bit risky. The bitumen has excellent adhesion to the concrete floor, it's just the adhesion between the levelling cement I'm pouring on top and the bitumen I'm worried about. I was just wondering if there was some Unibond coating I could use.

I don't quite see why the slurry would adhere any better than the self-leveling concrete?

just putting other option ur way mate..slurry coat is what i would use thats all ,the adeshion is imo far superior to latex in this senario with the covering u have at the mo.. :) tho might be proven wrong but as they say "everday is a school day" :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back