Timber casement windows that look like sash windows?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have seen timber windows that look exactly like sash windows, but tilt open (hinged at the top), and do not slide at all. I know there are some really awful ones around (with hugely fat, ugly frames) but these ones I've seen are slim and elegant. After trawling every window-related bit of information on t'internet, they apparently do not exist. I can find ones that tilt/turn/slide and do all sorts of unnecessary and expensive things, but I just want something that looks like a sash window without the complexity, cost and draughts of a sash window.

Could someone please put me out of my misery and either confirm that the windows I've seen are a figment of my imagination, or let me know if there is someone, hiding secretly somewhere in the world, capable of producing such a product?

Thanks!

- Paul

Sponsored Links
Hmmm....that's exactly the kind of thing I don't want - it looks like it was made by a schoolkid in woodwork class! I want something with the elegance and finesse of an old sash window - nice thin frames. I think my only solution is to take a trip to a house which I know has such windows and put the thumbscrews on the owner until they confess their secret source of these legendary windows. The Mythical Woodworking Unicorn, most probably.

Or I'll just have to bite the bullet and pay way over the odds for overly complicated, ridiculously old-tech, expensive sash windows.

I spoke to one company who initially claimed they could help me, but the rude salesman thought he could just palm me off with casement windows with a couple of 'horns' stuck on.

I will continue my quest...or wild goose chase...

Sponsored Links
Hello,

I have seen timber windows that look exactly like sash windows, but tilt open (hinged at the top), and do not slide at all. I know there are some really awful ones around (with hugely fat, ugly frames) but these ones I've seen are slim and elegant. After trawling every window-related bit of information on t'internet, they apparently do not exist. I can find ones that tilt/turn/slide and do all sorts of unnecessary and expensive things, but I just want something that looks like a sash window without the complexity, cost and draughts of a sash window.

Could someone please put me out of my misery and either confirm that the windows I've seen are a figment of my imagination, or let me know if there is someone, hiding secretly somewhere in the world, capable of producing such a product?

Thanks!

- Paul

I'm looking for the same thing and would love to know if you found a solution
Thanks-Sue

When you say tilt, there are versions that only the top section tilts, normally the top panel tilts outwards from the bottom. This configuration allows for normal sized frames, DG etc.http

://www.google.com/search?q=mock+sash+window&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=VCAUVKqbK4bbaon0gZgN&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1024&bih=527 - try this...pinenot😎 :)

I eventually ended up with some fairly horrid Jeld-wen things that my idiot builder assured me "would look fine and elegant". His idea of elegant and mine are separated by about 20mm of ugly timber. The phrase "oh **** it, just get it done" came to mind many times during the build. My biggest mistake was not to project manage the whole thing myself. As I've always said, if you want something done right, do it yourself.

I eventually ended up with some fairly horrid Jeld-wen things that my idiot builder assured me "would look fine and elegant". His idea of elegant and mine are separated by about 20mm of ugly timber. The phrase "oh **** it, just get it done" came to mind many times during the build. My biggest mistake was not to project manage the whole thing myself. As I've always said, if you want something done right, do it yourself.
Yes many take that view, but then we see many who have gone that route only to come a cropper. What did your Building Regs drawings say to use? Surely you communicated your window concerns to your designer and an appropriate manufacturer was specified before you even went out to tender?

Hello,

Thanks!

- Paul

Hi Paul,

do you have in mind something like these in the link? I bough my sash windows from Wall2Wall Sash Window company - the price and quality are really like from other part of the worlds - the better one :D

These are what you describe, but is this what you want?

http://www.sashless.com/grampian/rectory.html
Pinenot

I bough my sash windows from @@@@2@@@@l company - the price and quality are really like from other part of the worlds - the better one
Do they also sell luncheon meat? You know, ham, tongue, spam, etc

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back