Timber Cladding over brick - membrane or not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi... first post so play nice ;)

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the need for of a breathable membrane/tyvek when putting wood cladding over a brick wall.

We removed a lot of awful render from brick walls on our house which allows the brick to finally breath but its not in great shape so we are cladding it all in timber.

We've been "advised" that using a membrane is recommended, but no one can say why. As the brick wall was built to be exterior, and the membrane will be underneath wood cladding, it will have practically no benefit in keeping moisture off the walls from the outside, and it would seem not to be any help in allowing the brick to "breath" or get rid of moisture that does accumulate. I can't see how a barrier there would help with any interstitial moisture either.

There would be a gap between the cladding and brick the thickness of the battens so both the brick and the wood would be able to gain/lose moisture independently.

I can see the sense in the wrap over celotex etc perhaps.. but over brick?

Am I missing something?... or can we do without it saving a little time, money and easing the load on the planet?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back