Timber for new shower tray

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Getting parts for my builder to re do my bathroom, he wanted me to get some 2x4 timber for stud walls and some 2x2 to make a frame for my shower tray.

IS there any special type of timber i need or will ordinary wood do? (I got CLS wood for the stud wall) and planed wood for the 2x2 (shower tray)

Appreciate the help.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
No!!!! Never ever fit a shower tray on 2 x2 timbers!!!! Think about it.... Why are you building a frame for it?

Probably to both accommodate the waste pipes and same time strengthen it!!! Try standing on a piece of 2 x 2 timber and watch it flex!!!

Not good enough ... Should be on 4x2's or directly on floor boards . I recently put one in on 4 x 2's plus 18 mm marine ply!!! Read manufacturers instructions and ths is what they'll say!!! P.s I also bedded it in a mortar mix too!!!! Probably about 10 times stronger than yours!!!

Watch your seals break in a couple of months if not within a couple of years..........

£50 more and a couple of hours labour getting it right

Regards mark

Www.facebook.com/ThePropertyTeam

Sponsored Links
No!!!! Never ever fit a shower tray on 2 x2 timbers!!!! Think about it.... Why are you building a frame for it?

Probably to both accommodate the waste pipes and same time strengthen it!!! Try standing on a piece of 2 x 2 timber and watch it flex!!!

Not good enough ... Should be on 4x2's or directly on floor boards . I recently put one in on 4 x 2's plus 18 mm marine ply!!! Read manufacturers instructions and ths is what they'll say!!! P.s I also bedded it in a mortar mix too!!!! Probably about 10 times stronger than yours!!!

Watch your seals break in a couple of months if not within a couple of years..........

£50 more and a couple of hours labour getting it right

Regards mark

Www.facebook.com/ThePropertyTeam[/QUOTE]

Can't argue with that.

Might be a bit late but consider purchasing a tray with upstands when installing it on a timber floor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back