Timber frame extension economy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all -

I'm currently considering a kitchen extension, and will probably get someone in to complete the structure and then I'll do the internals. I have a fair bit of experience in CAD drawing and so am going to try my hand and doing some initial plans.

I had planned to go with a normal block cavity wall, but I've read a bit online about timber frame become more popular again, and how it can save money. Only thing is, that seems to be for new builds where I'm assuming much of the cost saving comes from the fact it can be built quickly off site and erected quickly. In regards to an extension, does anyone know first hand or of any third party info about the money saving potential of timber frame? It technically could allow me to go for a different foundation which potentially could save money, but I'm not entirely sure!

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Okay thanks - have seen some people use pile foundations, that's all.

Unless you are adding to a Tudor House, There is absolutely no advantage for a ground floor extension to be built as a timber frame, only disadvantages.

Sponsored Links
I'd mostly second these points raised. Timber frame is easier to insulate to regs, and somewhat easier to fit out if you're chasing cables and pipes into walls rather than using a service void.. But it's a bit more intensive in terms of prepping for resistance to moisture generated by the human occupants and overall it costs more as a raw lump sum of money despite being better value when speed of construction is grought into the equation. As you don't seem to be in any particular rush, it has few advantages

Most builders are familiar with traditional brick- and block construction - far fewer with timber frame.That's why it's more expensive.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back