Timber Frame onto Existing Brick Garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all,
I am after some lame man terms.....

I am looking to build an extra bedroom on top of my existing single brick skin garage. Inspection hole shows 1m foundations.
Architect has preliminary said a inner brick skin would reduce room/ garage by 200mm (block and cavity) So recommended a timber frame onto current single skin.

My question is how does this work, any drawings or pictures online? What is the floor suspended on??
I like to understand things to decide to loose space or go wood???

Anyone have experience or advantages/ disadvantages???

Sponsored Links
I did a bedroom above a garage not so long ago, we too did timber fame although that was a traditional inner skin rather than fixed immediately behind the outer masonry skin so we lost about 200mm in the bedroom above. The timber frame was supported off steel beams that sat on the existing masonry piers in the corners and mid points along the wall.

eg

Your architect may have something else in mind of course; there may be several approaches that work. Unless he’s using a structural engineer I hope he’s got good PI.

FMT, do you mind my asking if your made that drawing, and if so, what CAD program you used please?

Sponsored Links
A timber frame will still be about 150mm thick, and that is if you clad externally with timber or render or suchlike - you won't be able to get it much thinner.

The floor will be supported off the wall below or hung off the frame

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back