Time Controller [UT2 / LP711] not in control

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

Just recently bought our first house, and having a wee heating issue.

The timeswitch (a British Gas UT2 / LP711) is working as expected, but it isn't controlling the heating. It seems to be set correctly, and shows that it's asking for heat at the correct settings, but isn't effecting the boiler at all.

Instead, the thermostat - a bog-standard Honeywell analogue job (one channel, 230V) - is completely controlling everything - if it clicks low, heating comes on & visa versa.

The wiring from the backplate of the controller to the backplate of the thermostat seems to be as follows:
1 (common) -> 2
2 (off) - no connector
3 (on) -> 1
4 (unlabelled) -> 3

Do you happen to see an obvious mistake in the wiring?

Thanks,
Tim.

Sponsored Links
Are you sure that’s correct? How have you checked? 2 on a Honeywell is usually Neutral, 1 is usually Live from programmer/time switch and 3 call for heat.

Hi folks,

Just recently bought our first house, and having a wee heating issue.

The timeswitch (a British Gas UT2 / LP711) is working as expected, but it isn't controlling the heating. It seems to be set correctly, and shows that it's asking for heat at the correct settings, but isn't effecting the boiler at all.

Instead, the thermostat - a bog-standard Honeywell analogue job (one channel, 230V) - is completely controlling everything - if it clicks low, heating comes on & visa versa.

The wiring from the backplate of the controller to the backplate of the thermostat seems to be as follows:
1 (common) -> 2
2 (off) - no connector
3 (on) -> 1
4 (unlabelled) -> 3

Do you happen to see an obvious mistake in the wiring?

Thanks,
Tim.
The programmer only provides power to the thermostat based on a timed program. The thermostat decides if heat is required and controls the zone valve which in turn turns on the boiler. According to your post this is what is happening so it is working as expected.

The programmer only provides power to the thermostat based on a timed program. The thermostat decides if heat is required and controls the zone valve which in turn turns on the boiler. According to your post this is what is happening so it is working as expected.
The thermostat can always call for heat, regardless of the settings on the timer (it's completely controlling everything, with no regard for the timer). I'm pretty sure that's not what I've dealt with in any other house/setting and isn't how it's designed to work!

Sponsored Links
Are you sure that’s correct? How have you checked? 2 on a Honeywell is usually Neutral, 1 is usually Live from programmer/time switch and 3 call for heat.
I'm not very sure and that's part of the issue! I've traced the wires as best I can and think I may have reached the depth of my current ability - not very deep, as it turns out.

I was already thinking of replacing the control system with a Hive controller, but if there's an underlying issue that I can't solve then I'll need some help from a professional.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
What type of system do you have, s plan, y plan or something else. Do you have a wiring centre.
The UT2 is single channel, so I'm guessing it's a combi, and possibly (depending on the wiring), somebody has bypassed it - making the Honeywell 'stat a very simple on/off controller?

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back