Help with installing HIVE controls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am contemplating upgrading my water and heating controls to the HIVE system. Currently I have a BG RC Plus Wireless Programmable Room Thermostat linked to a BG WR1 receiver to provide heating control. For water control I have a BG UT2 Single Channel Timeswitch/Controller. This is connected to a CS1 Tank Stat via wiring centre. The boiler is a conventional BG 330+. I have a separate water tank. There are two separate Drayton zone valves for water and heating. Lastly there is a pump. This system was installed by BG in 2011.

All systems worked as advertised and without problems.

I want to install a HIVE Dual Channel Receiver on the back plate where the WR1 is located. I am ok with the live, neutral and earth cables. I am ok with isolating the system when working on it...it has the necessary fuses and is easy to isolate.

On the WR1 I have a Grey cable (Brown sleaving) connected to terminal 1 (COM) and a Black cable (Brown sleaving) connected to terminal 3 (HTG On). This appears to be wired in single channel configuration. The new Dual Channel HIVE has HTG On (4) and HTG Off (2). Photo attached.

My question is what do I do with the Grey cable (COM) and is it needed? The Grey cable (COM) is terminated at the wiring centre, in this case terminal 3. There is a cable link in the wiring centre from terminal 3 to terminal 7 (HTG & HW Grey). Photo attached. As for the other WR1 I presume I simply move the Black cable on the backplate from the current terminal 3 in WR1 configuration to the HIVE configuration terminal 4 (HTG On)?

On the UT2 I have a Black wire with a Brown sleaving connected to terminal 3 (HW On). There appears to be a cable link between the live and terminal 1 (COM). Similar question is which cable(s) to connect to which terminal(s)? I presume I move the Black cable from terminal 3 in UT2 configuration to HIVE configuration terminal 3 (HW On). Photo attached.

Would appreciate any advice.

Attachments

• Wiring Centre Terminal Layout.jpeg
    Wiring Centre Terminal Layout.jpeg
    241.8 KB · Views: 77
  • WR1 Backplate Wiring.jpeg
    WR1 Backplate Wiring.jpeg
    159.7 KB · Views: 82
  • UT2 Backplate Wiring.jpeg
    UT2 Backplate Wiring.jpeg
    169.8 KB · Views: 83
Sponsored Links
You don’t need common wires, as in the Hive dual channel they’re already linked internally, so if the WR1 and UT2 are near each other, then you only need the switching wires (both 3 on existing) and the permanent live and permanent neutral.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back