Help needed for British Gas WR1/UT2/RF600 Replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to replace my current British Gas UT2 programmer, WR1 digistat and RF600 wireless thermostat with a Hive (or similar) equivalent. My boiler is a Baxi Duo-Tec Combi 28 HE A. I find that the wireless thermostat is a bit hit and miss and wanted something a bit easier to control and up-to-date.

From reading on this forum, I see that there are Hive controllers that fit onto the existing WR1 and UT2 backplates. Would I need to upgrade both the WR1 and UT2 programmer, or is there a solution which integrates both systems? I will also need a wireless room stat to replace the RF600.

As I am using a combi boiler, do I need a single or dual system?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
As I am using a combi boiler, do I need a single or dual system?
Just checking, the hot water controls on your UP2 don't do anything?

Would I need to upgrade both the WR1 and UP2 programmer, or is there a solution which integrates both systems? I will also need a wireless room stat to replace the RF600.
Theoretically, a system such as a Hive should be able to replace your entire control system (other manufacturers products are available!).

Hive controllers that fit onto the existing WR1 and UP2 backplates.
Could you show us pictures of the wiring to your backplates?

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: CBW
If only using a combi, then Hive single channel, but you need to be certain as you mention a dual channel as existing, so similar to above.

Theoretically, a system such as a Hive should be able to replace your entire control system (other manufacturers products are available!).

It's a UT2, so it only has the option to turn on the 'advance' function I believe? I've attached a picture of the model below. I will try and get you a picture of the wiring on both backplates but will have to order a small set of screwdrivers as the cowboys from BG have positioned the boxes so close together that I only have an access of around 3" between each box to try and get to the screws underneath.

Attachments

• 71K7031gJJL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    71K7031gJJL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 30
Sponsored Links
So, the Hive or similar should fit onto the back plate, and you need to join the wires up for the existing thermostat or run new wires/cable to the boiler for the hive switching

Here's pictures of the wiring going into the backplates of the UT2 and WR1

Attachments

• Polish_20231020_135549859.jpg
    Polish_20231020_135549859.jpg
    247.3 KB · Views: 78
  • Polish_20231020_135439264.jpg
    Polish_20231020_135439264.jpg
    265.6 KB · Views: 70
Here's pictures of the wiring going into the backplates of the UT2 and WR1
A wider photo of your controls may help us understand - does the cable from the FCU (fused connection unit) connect to the WR1, before daisy chaining to the UT2, and boiler?

The schematic for the UT2 should look like:
Screenshot_20231020-175130_Chrome.jpg

The spare terminal 4 looks as if it is being used to link the thermostat into the circuit.

Given the corrosion on the UT2s back plate, I wouldnt reuse it.

Your WR1 backplate looks ok though.
And if you swapped the cable connected to the UT2 for the cable connected to the boiler (matching the existing wiring colours), the Hive receiver should work!

I.e.
image26.png

I hope that makes sense! :)

You are correct. There is an isolating switch below the WR1.

So, if I unwired the UT2 and took the wires out of the UT2 backplate (which are going to the boiler) and wired them exactly as they were (colour wise) into the WR1, it should work?

I guess I would leave the isolating box wired up to the WR2, but remove all the other wires in it's backplate so that the boiler wires replace them?

So, if I unwired the UT2 and took the wires out of the UT2 backplate (which are going to the boiler) and wired them exactly as they were (colour wise) into the WR1, it should work?
Yup!
I guess I would leave the isolating box wired up to the WR2, but remove all the other wires in it's backplate so that the boiler wires replace them?
and double yup! :)

Last edited:
Thanks for your help. Is this the Hive model I would need for a combi boiler??? My existing thermostat is the BG version of a wireless Drayton Digistat.

Yes, the 'Combi' model is single channel and the one you want.
Post more pics if you're struggling with the wiring, but it should be straightforward.
Good luck :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back