Time Delay Switch Pneumatic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have been asked to replace 3 1G2W switches with these time delay pneumatic switches and having looked through the forum, I can't see that they have been discussed before. Basically, there are 2 ceiling pendants in a hallway and currently 3 1G2W switches to control them. Both the lights come on and off together. At the first switch there is T+E and 3 core+E, the second switch has 2 cables of 3 core+E and the final switch has 1 cable of 3 core+E. I assume that these pneumatic switches are 1 way only because they turn themselves off, so I will have to make this current wiring into a 1 way rather than 2 way circuit. So, do I say use the 3 core+E to wire up these pneumatic switches, but say not connect the yellow of the 3 cores. I will then be left with at the first switch 2 reds, 1 blue and 1 black. The second switch will have 2 blues and 2 reds and the final switch 1 blue and 1 red. Which I will wire as reds to common and blue+black to the 1 way terminal. I do hope this makes sense and that someone could point me in the right direction. Many thanks, Ben

Sponsored Links
These Pneumatic switches are 2 way. But only ever One Gang.

If you go to a wholesaler and ask them for Time Lag switches they will know what you mean and they will do the job..just ensure to state they must be capable of 2 way switching.

Thanks for that, it seems I spent all afternoon thinking of how to wire them and still got it wrong! :LOL: I assumed they were 1 way only because they only sold 1 way in the catalogues I have, must be using the wrong suppliers. Anyway, thanks for the reply!

Oh, will I need an intermediate pneumatic switch for the middle of the 3 switches, the one with 2 cables of 3 core+E? If there is such a thing as an intermediate pneumatic switch?

Sponsored Links
may sound daft, but why would you want a 2 way time lag switch?

think about it (from this point of view)

small block of flats 3 floors, (each with switch)

some one comes in who lives on top floor presses button in entry hall goes to top, just as they get there person on 1st floor comes out presses button to stop lights going out (they do not know how long ago switch was pressed)

now if it was wired as 2 way, the lights will go OUT, as its wired 2 way, and because its a time lag switch they have to go upstairs and press that one (in the dark) to get lights to come on.

so why do you want 2 way (& intermediate) time lag switches when if you have one way, wire them all in paralell, the lights will stay on untill the last one "pops out"

Yeah, Breezer, I totally understand what you mean. My original message was about if it was possible for me to change the current 2 way wiring between the 3 lights into 1 way wiring by not connecting the yellow from the 3 core+E, leaving me with T+E throughout the circuit. Do you think that what I plan to do will be ok? This is actually a hallway of a basement, 3 doors, 3 switches.

Breezers comments may seem valid, however there is a flip side to the argument, if you enter the communal area from the opposite end to the switches location then you b*gg*r*d until you reach the switch, by that time you will not need it !

Yes they do make Intermediate switches. Most are usuable as either One way, Two or Intermediate, depending on how you connect it up.

FWL, in my situation it's not an issue because there is a switch just inside the main entrance and then a switch outside each of the 2 doors to each flat, so wherever you enter the hallway from, a switch is right next to you. I guess it's a good point to keep in mind for other projects though.

Just to say thanks to everyone for their advice. I fitted these 3 pneumatic switches today and they all worked just fine. I did wire them as 1 way in the end.

I have just changed three one-way switches in a block for tl switches.

Yes, for 20 years the residents have been switching on at Position A, reaching their front door (adj to Position B or C) and then realising they can only turn off the lights a switch A................!!!!

In this situation, would PIR switches, wired in parallel, be a safer bet? That way there are no problems with lights going out when someone is halfway up the stairs, and you wouldn't have to reach a switch before turning it on.

Not much use to you now as you have done the job, but just a thought!

Timer is set to enough time so that an elderley resident can easily (and slowly!) get from top to bottom before it times out.

Also, switches are surface-mount and neon locators were required, plus the fact that the circuit comprised a total of 6A mixed load (tungsten, t/h, and compact flu's) meant that only Danlers TLSW10 would do the job. The other switches I looked at could not handle such a load without contactors.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back