time to replace cylinder boiler with instant water heater

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Before I can contract plumber, I am trying to estimate how long (roughly) it may take to replace an immersion cylinder tank with an unvented instant water heater. It is located in the airing cupboard.
I hardly ever need hot water and can't see the point of replacing the immersion with like for like. Instant would be perfect.
I understand that I would need a plumber to do that or can I try on my own.

Sponsored Links
do you mean a combi boiler? or do you mean an water electric heater?r

What is the reason why the old cylinder needs replacing?

do you ever have a bath?

do you ever have a shower?

The old cylinder needs replacing because it has been out of use for several years now. I get hot water from the electric shower or the kettle.
The reason I want instant is only for bathroom basin and kitchen sink. I have a dish washer so the use is limited and I am ok to pay for the electricity only when I am heating water up.

Sponsored Links
I took the habit of not using much hot water. And also I think it is a waste to keep 100 L hot water for occasional use. I will follow your advice. How can I assess the water pressure to find out what additional valves I need to install?

sorry, I am not familiar with the undersink unvented heaters. You may find manufacturers instructions on the web page of one of those I linked.

Those undersink water heaters work quite well and up to a certain capacity you don't need an unvented certificate to install them. There are still issues to be considered when designing for them though.

They're not an 'instant' water heater as such, more like a very well insulated small unvented cylinder, and they only require a standard 13A connection. I am not sure if you are allowed to fit them feeding two taps though, although I see no technical reason why not.

I am not a pro, just an experienced DIYer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back