Timed bathroom extractor fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've just fitted a bathroom extractor with timer but it only goes on and off with the light switch

is it just a case of swapping the live and switch live round?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
I would expect the fan to run all the time if switched live and permanent live were the wrong way round.
Can you give more details how you wired it, for example was the wiring already there or did you take a 3 core (+earth) from somewhere?

I would expect the fan to run all the time if switched live and permanent live were the wrong way round.
No - because he will be disconnecting the switched live from what is (should be) the permanent live terminal of the fan.

The fan will only run when both its PL and SL are receiving the voltage.

There was already a fan there with 2 brown and 1 blue so I just put them back the same way, well I thought I edit but obviously not, what would be the harm in swapping them over?

Sponsored Links
Yes, but with regard to the question asked, my reply is reasonable.

I could say I meant at both ends. :)

Also, at the same time I was replying to a similar thread where a Grey was neutral but connected to L.

There was already a fan there
Did the fan you took out have a timer on it? and if so, did the timer ever work? What make / model was it?

with 2 brown and 1 blue so, I just put them back the same way.
Having never seen a single cable with 2 brown and 1 blue wires, I assume that there is more than one cable going to the fan. So are there other unused wires? if so, where did they go, or were they just cut off?

Please describe what terminals each of the 3 wires was connected to on the original fan, (for example (L)'Live' (S/L)'Switched Live' (N)'Neutral') and what the terminals are marked on your new fan that each goes to. What make / model is it?

Last edited:
Having never seen a single cable with 2 brown and 1 blue wires, I assume that there is more than one cable going to the fan.
That's one assumption.

Another is that some numpty has put brown sleeving over the cpc of some twin & earth.... :eek:

'twould be well to find out....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back