timed extractor fan to lighting circuit advice needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi everyone,i going to attempt to wire a timed extractor fan (greenwood induct) to my bathroom pullcord

the fan has (live, neutral, secondary live and a com earth available)there is a conductor into earth already.

the pullcord rose has live to l2, earth, neutral,i would like some information before i try an attempt it

the lighting circuit will be isolated and checked prior to work commencing

what would be the correct way to wire it
thanks
clive

Sponsored Links
Three core&e between switch and fan With the grey core as switched live(sleeved Red/Brown) Before you start, You should be aware that any work carried out in a "special location" i,e, A bathroom is notifiable to your local council building control dept, You WILL save money if you employ a qualified sparky,

Sponsored Links
wingcoax thanks for your swift reply,three core+earth between extractor fan and pullcord only use switched live, sleeve permanent? or use both live and sl and where do the terminate in pullcord
cheers

:rolleyes: You have no neutral at the switch then.

Taking the 'feed' from the light fitting would enable, (via a three pole isolator ), you to supply your fan with a switched live, permanent live and neutral. As its notifiable it is best get an electrician in. ;)

Regards

Ed

:rolleyes: You have no neutral at the switch then.

Taking the 'feed' from the light fitting would enable, (via a three pole isolator ), you to supply your fan with a switched live, permanent live and neutral. As its notifiable it is best get an electrician in. ;)

Regards

Ed
thanks edwards but i shall be attempting this myself,nothing to do with saving money,but more for educational reasons

there are three conducters to the pullcord red, black, earth none are sleeved
So no neutral then...

//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:lighting

wingcoax thanks for your swift reply,three core+earth between extractor fan and pullcord
With no neutral the fan will not work.

only use switched live, sleeve permanent? or use both live and sl
If you only use switched live the fan would probably not work anyway, even if there was a neutral. Why pay for a timed fan and then not wire it to use the timed function?

and where do the terminate in pullcord
Red is probably the permanent live at the switch, but there's no guarantee. Just use your multimeter to check the voltage between red & earth.

But it'll do you no good, as there's no neutral at the switch.

TBH you are a long way short of being competent to do this work - you should never do anything until you truly understand how it works. Please spend some time learning first:

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=75416#75416

//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7553&start=0

http://www.kevinboone.com/electricity.html

http://www.kevinboone.com/domesticinstallations.html

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=60849#60849

Or click here.

thanks edwards but i shall be attempting this myself,nothing to do with saving money,but more for educational reasons
THEN DO THE EDUCATION FIRST, NOT AS YOU GO ALONG, TRYING TO ASK WHATEVER QUESTIONS HAPPEN TO OCCUR TO YOU.

Do you intend to comply with the law, BTW?

im gonna go for wingcoaxs post,please feel free to leave a post if you have knowledge of wiring a timed extractor and your post could be helpful otherwise dont bother

Cdel.
I would advise for you to wait for Wingcoax to read this post now that we have more information, I am sure he will tell you that your fan will not work if wired from the switch.

Ed

without all the facts at his disposal, Wingcoax has made an understandable error based on an assumption..

though if he read your first post carefully he would have seen you mention a live in L2 and a neutral, no mention of switched live, or what was in COM, so logically you thought that the black wire in COM was a neutral..

anyway, to the point..

connect the 3core at the light, not the switch..

you SHOULD have all the wires you need at the light..
live feed, switched live, neutral and earth..

im gonna go for wingcoaxs post,please feel free to leave a post if you have knowledge of wiring a timed extractor and your post could be helpful otherwise dont bother
Please go ahead.

Then when the fan doesn't work it might finally dawn on you that you don't know enough.

You came here for advice, and when you don't get that which you want you tell people not to give it.

Go away.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back