Timer bathroom fans

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey,

Our timer fan is set to run for about 20 minutes after switch-live has turned off, which seems excessive to me. Everything is 'clear' in about 10 minutes.

Our bathroom has 2 windows (used to be separate bathroom and toilet). Is there any reason NOT to change the timer to 10 minutes? Or even less?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Our timer fan is set to run for about 20 minutes after switch-live has turned off, which seems excessive to me. Everything is 'clear' in about 10 minutes.
So it only needs to run for 10 minutes and it has a control which is provided for the exact purpose of allowing the owner to set the overrun time to what he finds he needs.

Is there any reason NOT to change the timer to 10 minutes? Or even less?
It will bring about the heat death of the universe.

Our bathroom has 2 windows (used to be separate bathroom and toilet). Is there any reason NOT to change the timer to 10 minutes? Or even less?
If at least one of the windows is 'openable' (whether you ever open it or not!) there is no regulatory requirement for a fan at all, or of any specific period of 'run-on'. You could therefore set the timer to any run-on period that seemed appropriate for you (including no run-on at all, if that's what you wanted).

Kind Regards, John

Thanks chaps.

Everywhere I read says "20 minutes is the recommended time".

They're both openable windows, but in the dead of winter, they won't be opening :)

Sponsored Links
Everywhere I read says "20 minutes is the recommended time".
True, and most people probably stick with that 'default'. However, if 10 mins is OK for you, that's also fine (you can always turn it back to 20 min if you have to!).

Kind Regards, John

IIRC Building Regs (Part F) specify the following as a minimum

Bath/shower - 15l/s with a 15 minute overrun (after the light is switched out) if there is no openable window.

IIRC Building Regs (Part F) specify the following as a minimum ... Bath/shower - 15l/s with a 15 minute overrun (after the light is switched out) if there is no openable window.
Yes, I think it's something like that - but, as I wrote...
If at least one of the windows is 'openable' (whether you ever open it or not!) there is no regulatory requirement for a fan at all, or of any specific period of 'run-on'.
... and the OP has subsequently confirmed that the windows are openable.

Kind Regards, John

David, Ed or Nick? :LOL:
b) Nigel
c) Natalie
d) Alan
e) All of the above.

[OFF]
Had a really enjoyable chat with a Ukip canvasser recently. They are utterly unprepared and unable to deal with meeting someone who actually expresses a strong desire to become part of a federal Europe. They are delighted if you agree with them. They are armed with arguments if you are unsure, or a waverer, or think you disagree with their stance, but when you stand there and say "sounds great - bring it on" to everything which they think people should abhor they really flounder.
[/TOPIC]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back