Timer failed to shut down boiler.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a problem with my British Gas 330 gas-fired central heating -- now fixed by BG -- where the boiler and pump kept going all night, even though the timer should have switched the whole thing off at 10:30pm. The BG engineer said it was because a valve was sticking, and not sending back an "off" signal.

Is this a normal mode of operation, whereby the timer switching off doesn't necessarily shut down the system? After all, the timer shuts it down at the appointed time even if the thermostats are still asking for more heat. So why does it not shut it down when a valve fails to confirm that it's shut?

BTW, this is just out of personal curiosity -- I don't intend to try and modify anything, but I'd like to know if other makes work differently, for when I need to buy a new system.

Sponsored Links
It's not unusual for a faulty valve to cause the boiler to continue running when the timer has switched off

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back