Ideal Classic Boiler lights even though timer is set to off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have an Ideal Classic Boiler (now 5 years old) about 12 months ago I noticed a couple of problems:

1. When I turn on the power to the system the bolier lights up even though the timer is off. The boiler runs for several minutes then shuts off.
It does obey the timer settings when I set an 'on' period, however it switches itself on even when the timer is set to off for both heating and hot water.

2. The pump just kept on running and running. I have searched various web sites and from the info I have found about my boiler believe it does not have a pump overrun facility. The only time the pump stops is when I shut off power to the whole system. Once i switch back on we start at problem 1 again.

Things I have tried so far:

Changing the timer clock.
Turning the thermostat on the boiler and my central heating thermostat right down to 0.

Both of these make no difference.

thanks in advance.
Ahmed

Sponsored Links
Check the motorised valve /s one could be sticking or the microswitch could be stuck.

James

James,

how can I test the valves. Should then move when I power the system on?

Also where/what is the micro switch?

cheers

Ahmed

You need to be comfortable with working/testing 240V live electrics. If you are then turn off ch main switched fused spur, open up the wiring center and note where the orange wires go.

Remove these wires and turn electric back on. With the ch and dhw off at the programmer see which orange wire is live. That will be the faulty one thats needs the actuator head replacing.

If you onlyhave one 3 port valve then test just the one orange wire. If live change the 3 prot head.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back