Timer fan overrun wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm replacing a bathroom fan and would appreciate some help with the wiring.

I have 2 pullcord switches - 1) operating light 2) operating fan. I have live connected to the timer terminal on the fan, but no over-run is operating. ie just comes on and off immediately with the fan pullcord.
Have located the adjustment for overrun and does not seem to be the cause.

Can anyone confirm what the wiring is for my scenario. I have 2 live and 2 neutral wires available from the wiring that was set up for the old fan. Would I need something additional such as connection with the light pull cord to enable the overrun facility to operate?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure why you would have two neutral conductors at the fan. Are there two T+E cables entering the extractor, or has the extra neutral simply been borrowed for something else nearby as it was convenient?

In any case, I'm not sure if I understand how you want this to operate. I would assume that you want the fan to come on with the fan pullcord, and then go off X minutes after said pullcord is switched again? The point where I get confused is the mention of somehow wanting this to be linked in with the lighting as well.

If I'm correct in the above assumption, you will need a permanent live supply to the extractor pre-pullcord, a switched live post-pullcord, and a neutral. You cannot connect to the timer terminal or the permanent live terminal alone, although if you decided you didn't need the overrun, it would be acceptable to link both of these connections together from one feed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back