Timer for hot water bronze pump.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What is the cheapest and simplest way to add a timer to my hot water circulating bronze pump. It is situated in the loft as part of my unvented cylinder and during the night the hum gets very irritating. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Add a timer...simples. You just wire it in-line on the supply to the pump. You could also put a pipe thermostat in so that the pump shuts off when the loop is up to temperature

Add a timer...simples. You just wire it in-line on the supply to the pump. You could also put a pipe thermostat in so that the pump shuts off when the loop is up to temperature

Cheers, do you have any recommendations?

I would go for the pipe stat as suggested, a cylinder stat (such as the Salus) will fit on to pipes and costs just under £10 - can be adjusted to desired temp, no timers to mess with.

Sponsored Links
I would go for the pipe stat as suggested, a cylinder stat (such as the Salus) will fit on to pipes and costs just under £10 - can be adjusted to desired temp, no timers to mess with.

The main aim though would be to have silence at night from the pump. I think a pipe stat would cut in and out during the night

Google single channel timer and take your pick from many available, Drayton, Honeywell, Salus, all around £40-50.

Surely a simple plug in timer like you would use on a table lamp would be cheapest?
You would need to add in a socket and plug to the power cable to the pump of course.
A timer is just a few pounds and a plug and socket is cheap too from you local DIY store.
I have several old fashioned 'pin' type timers used at various times for different tasks about the house such as burglar deterent lamps, Christmas lights, etc. the pin type don't suffer flat battery problems but do need resetting after the power has been off.

Last edited:
Exactly, B&Q usually have them for about £3 for a mechanical type.

The mains plug and socket make them easy to wire and safe.

Better though to add the pipe thermostat at the same time as that can save most of the power the pump consumes.

Tony

Thanks for the advice. I didn't realise I could run the pump off a 240v 3 pin plug, is that safe as it seems the easiest method?

It struck me whilst I was away recently, if I put a timer on the pump I would still have to go into the loft to manually turn pump off while on holiday. But for a few quid more I could, or could I?, use a wifi plug. Would this still be safe?

Complicated and expensive and may get you into the loft when heating fails when its freezing!

Better to extend the cable into the living parts and plug in there!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back