Timer on CU (with pictures :)

the double-decker I showed is a 9+8 unit in the Memera 2000 range. there are others, I'm sure.

Sponsored Links
Reckon I could squeeze a telemeter where that big old time clock is and a 3pole isolator the otherside of the cutout.

would that free up enough space above?

Moving meters is usually free, isolators sometimes cost.

When phoning your supplier explain the situation (that your trying to gain some space in your cupboard) and ask her to raise 2 jobs, 1 to INSTALL 3 POLE ISOLATOR and 1 to REPLACE A 2RATE CREDIT METER E7.

I'd be happy with that.

Maybe also state that it's in a tight spot under the stairs and extra time will be needed, DNO chap might get a few jobs less then and can take longer sorting it out ;)

John & Roo thanks for the advice. Guess I'l be calling supplier on Monday as a starting point.

Roo said:
Reckon I could squeeze a telemeter where that big old time clock is and a 3pole isolator the otherside of the cutout.

would that free up enough space above?

Moving meters is usually free, isolators sometimes cost.

When phoning your supplier explain the situation (that your trying to gain some space in your cupboard) and ask her to raise 2 jobs, 1 to INSTALL 3 POLE ISOLATOR and 1 to REPLACE A 2RATE CREDIT METER E7.
Just to clarify, is teh telemeter a meter and clock combined, or just a replacement for the clock? I just wonder how the dno will react to replacing meter, as the meter we have is pretty new?

If it is meter and clock combined, will it not still be quite big and where will the henly block go?

Sponsored Links
Well sorry to resurect this, but I have now spent what feels like a month swimming upstream through quicksand whilst weighed down by lead weights as a result of talking to DNO/supplier.

I have been shunted from pillar to post and back, and the outcome is very simple they wont do anything without an installation certificate.

They wont fit an isolation switch at all - but may let an electrician fit one.
They wont move the meter until I have an installation certificate.
They wont consider PME until I have had all of the work done and they just connect it - provided I have an installation certificate.

So do I need to gat a periodic inspection to get an Installation cert, or can I just get an electrician to come and carry out basic checks for an ICert. ANd what exactly does teh ICert cover?

DJM said:
Just to clarify, is teh telemeter a meter and clock combined, or just a replacement for the clock? I just wonder how the dno will react to replacing meter, as the meter we have is pretty new?

If it is meter and clock combined, will it not still be quite big and where will the henly block go?

A telemeter is a meter and clock combined.
The ones we use are around the same size as the time clock you have, but of course other suppliers will vary ;)

Doesn't sound like your supplier is being very helpful :(

is this from phone calls or letter?

I got a letter from EDF specifying their requirements for a relation's house before they'd upgrade the earth (I don't trust phone calls with electricity co's).

In the end they'd accept a form saying the installation was "safe" signed by "an electrician" and they didn't ask for quals or memberships. They provided a paperwork pack.

Why do you want TNC-S it seems like your have TNS, and I cant see from that picture, but it looks like you have one sweated bare earth, and two 951 clamps where someone has decided that the sheath makes a good MET?, even if you haven't got a sweated connection, if you can get a good ELFI reading off one of the existing clamps (but dont add more or even tighten it) then use that for now and advise the DNO that they might like to replace with with a sweated connection.

Isolator wise, do they allow the electrician to pull the service fuse, if they do then I suppose there isn't really much point to the isolator, if they don't then many electricians will anyway (and some might just drop the tails out of the henley block with insulated handtools! - not really to be recommended!)

Moving the meter wise, not sure it needs to be moved, careful trimming of the board its on would probably do

Thanks for the replies
Everything was done with phone calls. The only address they will provide is head office or customer complaints so I cant send a letter to the correct department.

Roo,
EDF are being very unhelpful. They point blank wont countenance fitting a telemeter. They have stated thatthey will have to send someone out to assess the situation before deciding if they can/will even move the meter and provide a quote, but they wont even arrange that until I have an ICert on the premisiss. As I say, very unhelful.

Adam,
they wont allow anybody but them to pull the service fuse - and they tell me they will charge everytime I want it removed. They wont fit an isolator switch themselves, but may allow an electrician to fit one and they will connect meter tails to it.
I was only heading PME because of recommendations on here and if I was getting this work done and future re-wire, seemed sensible to do all at the same time.

As for cutting the board down, I dont think that works - see picture
EDFSupplyBoardsMeasurements1.jpg

I am not in a position to do full re-wire, so replacing MEM and large wylex not practical. Therefore I thought a new 17-way split load into space left once the meter is moved would give me the immediate resolution to the kitchen issue, and allow for expansion as I transferred from old to new. This obviously means either another connection to the henly block - not sure how as currently no space, can it be expanded in the short term? - or the large wylex removed and transferred into the new CU.
But looking at sizes of 12-way and 17-way CUs cutting the board down wont free up enough space so moving the meter seems teh best route.
Either that or I am back to adding another small CU around the edges for the kitchen.

a trick with letters to Utilities companies...

if it goes to the cust service office, the people there will not know what to do, but they are not allowed to bin it, so they will pass it on, and there is quite a good chance that it will end up on the desk of an engineer who can actually help ;)

JohnD said:
p.s. how about moving the Alarm?
I have thought about that, but alarm company has been taken over and have been trying to get us to fit their new system. As a result thay are not being all that helpful with maintenence let alone real work.
It would also be a tight fit in height and particularly width.

I guess I can try writing with the picture of the EDF boards and see what response I get.

I did actually mean loose part of the board and loose the grey wylex and mem boards

I would guess that loosing the grey wylex board wouldn't be too much of a hassle if you have got three newish ring circuits and a new shower circuit to move, I'd guess that only remedial work required specific to those circuits would be sup bonding in the bathroom

As far as the MEM board is concerned, big issue is the VIR, the two rings and back of house lights hopefully wont present issues, but if they do, it'd have needed dealing with anyway, anyway I guess you could probably just loose the old downstairs ring now?, Immersion heater probably won't present any issues, but if it does I cant imagine it being a major heartache to sort.

Its the only really sensible way I'm afraid, anything else is just really making more work when it gets sorted properly. Shouldn't need a full re-wire, just a handful of remedial work, and perhaps some circuits can be sheduled for re-doing at a later date if they are basicaly safe for the time being but a bit of a tangled mess of additions, etc

DJM said:
Roo,
EDF are being very unhelpful. They point blank wont countenance fitting a telemeter. They have stated thatthey will have to send someone out to assess the situation before deciding if they can/will even move the meter and provide a quote, but they wont even arrange that until I have an ICert on the premisiss. As I say, very unhelful.

It's amazing how timers can drift out.

While making an appointment with your supplier to have your timeclock changed as your TIMECLOCK IS COMING ON AT THE WRONG TIMES, ask the very nice lady on the other end if an isolator could be fitted at the same time as your thinking of having some work done. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back