Tingle in the shower.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry if this has been covered but I cant find it if it has.

I have a 9.5Kw shower. When I have a shower and touched the metal shower head or pipe I get a tingle.
All the copper pipe work in the house is bonded to the consumer unit earth .
This an old installation ,the water main into the house below floor level is plastic so there is no continuity from the earth in the consumer unit to the soil.

Is it safe for me to run an earth from the consumer unit to an earth rod outside.

Ive been told if its PME its not ?
Thanks Dave

Sponsored Links
You have a fault somewhere, or multiple faults, installing earth electrodes left right and centre in the hope that it'll go away is not the best course of action :LOL:

Can we have a picture of your consumer unit and metering area?
Is there any supplimenary equipotenial bonding in the bathroom?
How old is the shower?

I have a feeling this one will probably involve you getting someone in, I'm afraid, to have a poke around with test kit!

No, it is not safe run a cable to an earth rod. Earth is a very essential part of the supply and requires expensive test equipment to verify that all is working correctly, not t mention sound knowledge. If you feel a tingle in the shower, you should not use it and get it tested asap.

Sponsored Links
All the copper pipe work in the house is bonded to the consumer unit earth .

May be part of the problem. The incoming services should be bonded to the main earth terminal at the consumer unit.

As Adam has noted, all metal items in the bathroom must be supplementary bonded. Check out //www.diynot.com/wiki/electric...rooms_and_supplementary_equipotential_bonding

Note: the supplementary bonding does NOT get connected back to the fuseboard.

I would strongly suggest you get this looked at pronto!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back