Tingle from Dishwasher + light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had my house re-wired about a year ago but have been decorating most of rooms so have removed + refitted a few sockets some sockets i leave hanging without the earth connected.
I'm doing the kitchen at the moment and fitted a new dishwasher today and when i run my hand over it i got a very slight tingle.I had a read on the forum about bad/no Earths so i connect all the earths back to the sockets and the Tingle has gone.
I think the light switch may be the earth no connected again in the loft

My question is
Is it normal to get the Tingle when the earth is not connect and me reconnecting the earths stopping the tingle is that just Masking the problem

thanks nyck

Sponsored Links
I think you shouldn't stay up so late ,as it seems you need some sleep you grumpy git

Thanks for the advise a great help

Sponsored Links
It is potentially dangerous too.
You should never power a circuit on with the earth disconnected, if there is a fault then the normal fault path doesn't exist which would normally cut the supply.
Things like dishwashers may have mains filters in them which are not a problem when the appliance is properly earthed. However they can cause a rise in potential on the exposed metalwork if no earth is present.

I think you shouldn't stay up so late ,as it seems you need some sleep you grumpy git

Thanks for the advise a great help

I think the reply JohnD gave was straight to the point.

The earth wire is there for a purpose not merely for decoration.

Luckily for you and yours you just got a tingle THIS time not an electric shock or worse!

I have recently been painting the guttering. the roofers left a safety-rope fastened to the chimney, so I made a noose in the end and fastened it round my neck. I was not using a ladder, and I noticed that when I was hanging off the guttering with one hand, the rope chafed my throat. Have I got a faulty roof, or is this usual?

I have recently been painting the guttering. the roofers left a safety-rope fastened to the chimney, so I made a noose in the end and fastened it round my neck. I was not using a ladder, and I noticed that when I was hanging off the guttering with one hand, the rope chafed my throat. Have I got a faulty roof, or is this usual?
Don't worry, your roof is not faulty, you simply mis-read the instructions. You need to hold on to the guttering with both hands and put the paint brush in your mouth. The only time it is permitted to remove one hand from the guttering is for a tea break.

Don't worry, your roof is not faulty, you simply mis-read the instructions. You need to hold on to the guttering with both hands and put the paint brush in your mouth. The only time it is permitted to remove one hand from the guttering is for a tea break.

Not a paint brush, an orange.... ;)

If only its was true? :LOL:

I don't think that JohnD is stupid enough to put his life in danger because he is too lazy to connect an earth wire.

Oh, wait....... :rolleyes:

my stupidity is exceeded only by my laziness :LOL:

You are a danger to yourself and others.
You are too stupid to do anything.
Keep away from all other lifeforms

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back