Tingle Electric Shock From Metal Light Switch Screws

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have recently removed a pull light switch and installed a 3 way wall metal switch (Was a 2 way before) I now get a slight tingle electric shock when I touch the screws on the front of the light switch. Though this does not seem to happen all the time. I even had the same shock from 2 other metal sockets in the house, though this is only ever from the screws on the front plate. It is not enough to blast you accross the room though I would like to solve this issue, is this earth leakage :?: :?:

Sponsored Links
Is the switch plate earthed?
The earth conductor from the cable should be connected to the switch plate.
If you do not have an earth conductor then you should not be installing metal fittings. they have to be insulated (Class 2).

If you do have an earth conductor then maybe its not connected somewhere. Come back and will tell you how to test it.

Capacitive coupling due to a non continuous CPC.

If it's on two circuits (unless he mistyped socket for switch) then I would be wanting to measure Ze to see if there's a reliable earth coming into the property.

Hi

I have recently removed a pull light switch and installed a 3 way wall metal switch (Was a 2 way before) I now get a slight tingle electric shock when I touch the screws on the front of the light switch.

Not a socket then, surely ;)

Sponsored Links
I have the front plate earthed as you can see from the pictures and yes it is a switch not a socket
109000_108667_5516_80881843.jpg

109000_108667_5517_43201412.jpg

But are the other items you've reported the same problem with switches or sockets?
Is this a problem on both your lighting circuit and ring final (socket circuit)?

There could be a simple non-lethal explanation for this, but there may not. In that case, when it does "blast you across the room", you will probably remain conscious just long enough to realise you are dying - I would recommend you get it looked at by an electrician.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back