Electric tingle from hook near cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm on holidays, and there is a metal hook on an umbrella with a cable running up behind it to power a light. I can't see any screws going through the cable, or any evidence of the hook rubbing on the cable, however when I touch the hook I get a small tingle.

Any idea why it might be? I'm just curious really. Can induced voltage cause this? There is a lot of salt build up on the hook from

With my flipflops on there is no tingle.

Bonus picture attached of how safe the wiring is outside in a Mauritian 5 star hotel!

1000083846.jpg

1000083845.jpg

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Unfortunately we booked directly. I'm keeping on at hotel management though.

Mentioning it on the forums etc etc for instance their own or trip advisor etc etc and especially every time your are very near reception and customers are around and you raise your voice slightly to make staff aware what you are telling folk soon gets them to take more notice in some instances.

It`s easy to become a nuisance to a business if they will not act reasonably , you often encourage refunds or better service etc etc with just the odd word or three at the right time. Right the way up to becoming an absolute nuisance and actually losing them trade.
Always be reasonable and polite but make your point clearly and it sharpens their minds.

Oh and t can be fun as well as rewarding. I`ve had a few inner giggles over the years too

Some years ago I pointed out to the manager of a Hilton Group hotel near San Francisco, that their several hundred boxes containing fire extinguishers behind a glass panel were useless, because the extinguishers were larger than the hole in the locked door. I was promised a fast review. The next time I stayed there was no change and I reported it again and promised an immediate response. Guess what.

Back to the topic though, does anyone know what would be causing the tingle?

Without some suitable equipment, and actually being on site, it is extremely hard to say.

Back to the topic though, does anyone know what would be causing the tingle?

There are a variety of possibilities, some safe, some unsafe. From your description and the photos you provided, it appears to fall into the latter category. That connector block should not be exposed, and there is an indication of it having become damp maybe in the past. Chances are the live might be leaking to the timber frame, and the hook you 'got a tingle' from..

There are a variety of possibilities, some safe, some unsafe. From your description and the photos you provided, it appears to fall into the latter category. That connector block should not be exposed, and there is an indication of it having become damp maybe in the past. Chances are the live might be leaking to the timber frame, and the hook you 'got a tingle' from..

That's a good shout, thanks! I guess as it's next to the sea, and quite a humid country, the wood will be very damp and salty.

Having a connector block exposed like that seems so bad! A child could easily climb up and touch it. Or an adult could accidentally knock it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back