Tingling from kitchen sink, PME vs TT

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm interested in views on an Earthing problem and my solution.

We're in a rural property, with about 10 houses spread out over an area, some (including our own) up to about 100m from a pole mounted transformer.

All were built around 1999, and have PME supplies.

When we replaced the ceramic tiles in our kitchen with natural stone (both on a concrete slab floor), we started to notice a very distinct tingling if you touched the kitchen tap and had bare feet.

Taking some measurements, I could see that over the course of the day, the neutral/PME voltage can vary from about 250mV up to about 3V relative to "true earth" (as measured to a 12ft earth rod I've now installed). With all the metal work in the house including the copper water pipes correctly bonded, this voltage obviously becomes visible between the tap and the kitchen floor (natural stone having a much lower resistance than ceramic).

Note that as a recent build, our water feed is PE and being rural we are off the gas grid, so unlike many urban properties the equipotential bonding to the other utilities provided no additional earth connection.

As far as I can see, this voltage difference is an unavoidable result of neutral currents resulting in our own relatively long, neutral feed, and neutral imbalance between all the properties. The problem is definitely worse during the winter when various electric heating loads (our own and neighbours) periodically switch on and off.

We have therefore disconnected the PME connection (on our side of the supply not the electricity company's) and moved to a TT system with a 100mA time delay RCD in an insulated enclosure on the incoming supply in front of the CU, reference to the aforementioned 12ft earth rod.

Relative to the PME connection we have measured an "earth rod terminal to transformer earth" resistance of 14ohms, which has been absolutely stable for the entirety of the last three years.

The tingling has entirely disappeared and everyone is now happy.

What prompted the question was that I recently discussed the change with a new friend of mine who is an electrician and he said I was much better sticking with the original PME earth. I said I wasn't a fan of electric shocks when making the tea. I also quoted back the bit in the regs which disallows PME from farm building where animals feed unless a ground mesh is present (which it isn't here) and said if it wasn't safe for cattle I didn't see why it was safe for my family.

However I wonder whether others have a view on the wisdom or otherwise of this move (subject obviously to it having been executed in a regs compliant manner, Part P approval being obtained, and regular testing being done on the resistance of the earthing system)?

Sponsored Links
Btw, during the winter I can measure a current of over 200mA between the PME terminal and my local earth if I connect the two with an ammeter (they PME terminal is now only accessible outside in the meter cupboard under an insulated cover, so there is no chance of a casual connection by wire or hand).

This seems entirely consistent with the observed neutral rise of around 3V and a transformer-local earth rod resistance in the 15ohm region. To my mind it also demonstrates why we are better off with TT earthing...

... have PME supplies. ... When we replaced the ceramic tiles in our kitchen with natural stone (both on a concrete slab floor), we started to notice a very distinct tingling if you touched the kitchen tap and had bare feet. ... Taking some measurements, I could see that over the course of the day, the neutral/PME voltage can vary from about 250mV up to about 3V relative to "true earth" (as measured to a 12ft earth rod I've now installed). ...Note that as a recent build, our water feed is PE and being rural we are off the gas grid, so unlike many urban properties the equipotential bonding to the other utilities provided no additional earth connection.
As you go on to say, such potential differences are essentially unavoidable with PME when the distance from the nearest PME electrode (i.e. earthing point of the neutral feed) and the installation are relatively long. What rather surprises me is that you managed to feel even a tingling with a pd of only 3V maximum.
We have therefore disconnected the PME connection (on our side of the supply not the electricity company's) and moved to a TT system with a 100mA time delay RCD in an insulated enclosure on the incoming supply in front of the CU, reference to the aforementioned 12ft earth rod. Relative to the PME connection we have measured an "earth rod terminal to transformer earth" resistance of 14ohms, which has been absolutely stable for the entirety of the last three years. The tingling has entirely disappeared and everyone is now happy.
Fair enough. If all your final circuits were RCD protected, then you wouldn't actually need that TD RCD, but it does no harm.
What prompted the question was that I recently discussed the change with a new friend of mine who is an electrician and he said I was much better sticking with the original PME earth. However I wonder whether others have a view on the wisdom or otherwise of this move (subject obviously to it having been executed in a regs compliant manner, Part P approval being obtained, and regular testing being done on the resistance of the earthing system)?
Well, IMO, there's nothing wrong with TT (I've lived with it for most of my life), provided the required RCD protection is in place. As I said, I'm surprised you are feeling tingles from such a small pd, but it's not impossible that the pd could rise, so I can understand your view. You do not need 'Part P' approval (by which I presume you mean 'notification' to your Local Authority) for the changes you are talking about.

Kind Regards, John

Btw, during the winter I can measure a current of over 200mA between the PME terminal and my local earth if I connect the two with an ammeter (they PME terminal is now only accessible outside in the meter cupboard under an insulated cover, so there is no chance of a casual connection by wire or hand). This seems entirely consistent with the observed neutral rise of around 3V and a transformer-local earth rod resistance in the 15ohm region. To my mind it also demonstrates why we are better off with TT earthing...
As you say, that arithmetic sounds about right. You are, of course, in a fairly unusual situation of not having any earthed 'extraneous-conductive parts' (metal water or gas supply pipes etc.). If you did have them, then the required bonding between them and the PME earth would probably eliminate much of the PD between the PME earth and true earth.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I would agree with you. it the PME "earth" is noticably above ground then go for TT.

I got similar voltages between the PME "earth" and true ground at my last house. On a couple of occasions during network fault conditions the voltage went as peaked at around 50 volts. The construction of the house meant this was not a serious hazard but could have been if the outside tap had been plumbed with all copper.

In my present house ( 500 year old cottage with rubble and mortar walls ) I am monitoring the voltage between PME "earth" and a ground rod for the TT supplied out houses. So far no problem but it is only 200 yards from the substation.

The argument will now arise about whether the sink should be [1] bonded to or [2] insulated from the [edit] Main Earth Terminal

The argument will now arise about whether the sink should be [1] bonded to or [2] insulated from the PME "earth"
The OP seems to have completely abandoned the PME earth - so I presume the very last thing he would be contemplating would be connecting it to his sink! Did you perhaps mean to suggest that there could be discussion as to whether the sink should be connected to the TT earth? (if he has copper plumbing,mit will almost certainly be connected to earth, anyway).

Kind Regards, John

Yes I should have said " Main Earthing Terminal "
...which, of course, is now his TT earth. As I said, if he has copper plumbing, his sink will almost certainly have a pretty good electrical connection to the MET, regardless of any 'discussions'!

Kind Regards, John

What rather surprises me is that you managed to feel even a tingling with a pd of only 3V maximum.

When you placed your hands in the water from the tap, you felt it if you had bare feet and any slight nicks in the skin. It felt like a burning sensation.

What rather surprises me is that you managed to feel even a tingling with a pd of only 3V maximum.
When you placed your hands in the water from the tap, you felt it if you had bare feet and any slight nicks in the skin. It felt like a burning sensation.
I suppose you're describing a fairly extreme situation of a low impedance path through the body but I have to say that I'm still a bit surprised that you could feel it.

Kind Regards, John

I never felt the tingle anywhere except at the site of cuts, with my feet and the rest of me never noticing.

I guess the nerves exposed by any nicks, coupled with the lower resistance of wet feet are very similar to the way you can check a 1.5V battery using your tongue, but get nothing just touching with your fingers.

I never felt the tingle anywhere except at the site of cuts, with my feet and the rest of me never noticing. I guess the nerves exposed by any nicks, coupled with the lower resistance of wet feet are very similar to the way you can check a 1.5V battery using your tongue, but get nothing just touching with your fingers.
Indeed so. I very much doubt that you would feel 3V through even damp intact 'normal skin'. However, in the absence of the protective outer layer of skin (e.g. if skin is 'nicked' - or, as you say, the tongue, which has no such layer), then things are very different. Applied directly to a nerve, just a few tens of millivolts can be felt.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back