TT Earthing problem?

Within 40ms at 5x rated current, so set your meter to 150mA. Depending on RCD, 200 or 300ms at rated current.
You are right, of course BS EN 61008 should trip within 300mS at IΔn. That's what comes of trying to rush stuff.

A bit academic though, as I rather doubt that the OP's tester (multimeter + a few resistors) has the ability to measure trip times in milliseconds!

Sponsored Links
You are right, of course BS EN 61008 should trip within 300mS at IΔn. ... A bit academic though, as I rather doubt that the OP's tester (multimeter + a few resistors) has the ability to measure trip times in milliseconds!
True, but in the sense of a pragmatic 'imperfect' test, I think that human beings can distinguish between trips which are more-or-less 'instantaneous' (say, well under 500 mS) and those which are 'delayed' (say, well over 500 mS). Also, let's face it, when people are told to press the test button regularly, there is no mention of how quickly the device should operate - so they may well 'feel reassured' if it operates in a second or two.

However, if one really wants/needs to know precisely whether the device is working 'within' spec, then, as you imply, one obviously has to use proper test kit.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back