Chasing in cables in stud walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

i've put a second TV in our bedroom and install a Sky Eye. So now i've got my TV mounted on the stud wall, but the power cable and the aerial cable running down the wall and along the floor to the plug and aerial socket. Its only about a couple of meters, if that, of cable but it looks really untidy. I want to run them through the wall but need some advice please;

I want to do it myself and if needs be get it signed off by an electrician.

The stud wall is made from metal studs, if that makes any odds?

But basically i'm thinking i run both cables vertically downwards from the telly, inside the stud, then once at floor level run them behind the skirting up to the short gap to the socket. Instead of having them then run outside again I'm thinking i can just hook the TV up to an fused socket (not sure if thats what they are called). Not sure what i can about the aerial though?

When running the cable in the stub wall do i need to house it, i think i read somehting about fire proofing them??

Any comments would be gratefully received.

Cheers,

Sponsored Links
... then once at floor level run them behind the skirting up to the short gap to the socket.
Not allowed:If you can get at the cables under the floor you could run them vertically from there to outlets directly behind the TV.

Cheers Ban-all-Sheds - i think i see, so basically i can only run them vertically. So could i take it up to the loft from the TV then down to the socket?

Yup - you could use that route.

You can go horizontally, but only in line with accessories (same with vertical).

The reason you can't run behind the skirting board is that the socket isn't at that height.

Sponsored Links
nice one!! So i take it i can use a pvc coated cable and thats enough for the power cable?

next question to be answered is on the fused socket, assume thats ok?

Also how could i do the aerial cable - is there a way to connect the cable from the TV in to the cable going in to the socket, so its hidden as well?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back