running aerial cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i live in a block of flats and my tv reception is very poor, due to one aerial being shared by all the block.

i am thinking about installing a loft aerial (i live on the top floor) and run the cables where the existing cable runs.

i have found the cable and it runs from inside my loft and down an internal wall in a cavity directly about the tv socket, the wall mounted socket has 2 aerial plugs (TV + FM) but only one is being used, so i'm assuming that there is space for two cables.

how easy is it to run the new cable down cavities?
what would be the best way to do it? (drop some string down the cavity and pull up? attach the new cable to the old one at the socket end and pull the cable up into the roof?)

thanks

Sponsored Links
Does everyone have the same problem ? if so report it to who ever owns the flats. So they can fix it. You can run as many flats as you want off one aerial as long as its done properly and setup correct with good kit, maybe the aerial has moved or is faulty, or the amplifer its up to the owner to fix. I wouldnt mess around myself just log a fault with them if its everyone.

If you want to run a new cable, drop a piece of string first then pull cable back. Little tip tie another piece of string as well, so should the cable fall off, you still will be pulling a piece of string back.

i spoke to the maintenance company and the 1st fault was the main dist amp had become faulty this has been replaced but the recption is still poor, they are looking to replace the aerial system to a digital one but not until near the time the area changes over, 2011/12, so i would like to install something just to run my tv off.

i'll see if i can drop some string with a weight on it down the cavity and see if it appears at the socket

Sponsored Links
Have you tried a set top aerial, they are not bad for terrestrial & as you may have to change soon, for digital, it could save you time & money.

Possibly a little naughty, but couldn't you just use the cable thats already installed?

Lectrician said:
Possibly a little naughty, but couldn't you just use the cable thats already installed?

would the cable be ok for freeview? i think its the orignal cable ran when the flats were put up, so there about 25 years old

Firstly: You should not put cables in a cavity - can cause damp issues if the cable bridges the inside to the outside (apparently).

Your TV & FM socket is probably shared (diplexed) up in the loft so there is probably only one cable going to it (have you had a look?) :eek:
If its diplexed you'll probably lose signal at both ends, try buying a booster amp, they are cheap enough & cant make it worse!

With Freeview first check you can get it where you live. Type in yr postcode at http://www.freeview.co.uk/home

To make a Freeview box work you need a pretty good, strong signal which may get you back to where you started on this thread....

TTC

Taylortwocities said:
Firstly: You should not put cables in a cavity - can cause damp issues if the cable bridges the inside to the outside (apparently).

Your TV & FM socket is probably shared (diplexed) up in the loft so there is probably only one cable going to it (have you had a look?) :eek:
If its diplexed you'll probably lose signal at both ends, try buying a booster amp, they are cheap enough & cant make it worse!

With Freeview first check you can get it where you live. Type in yr postcode at http://www.freeview.co.uk/home

To make a Freeview box work you need a pretty good, strong signal which may get you back to where you started on this thread....

TTC

The communal aerial runs along the roof and punches through the wall into the communal loft (the block is 3 flats high with about 25-30 flats, each communal loft serves 6 flats), in the communal loft there is a distribution amp of the 6 flats the loft serves, i have followed the cables and only one comes into my loft through an inside wall, and this cable serves my tv socket.

i have got a freeview box which can pick up most channels (sometimes with bad reception but suprisingly not as bad as the analogue) but not itv or channel 4 so thats why i have not been using free view.

do you reckon by re-using this cable i could be able to pick up an improved analogue or freeview signal? if i do re-use it and find no improvement or worse signal could i re-join the existing cable back and would this provide the same signal strength as before or will the join cause a noticable loss?

Aerial distribution systems of this type normally have a channelised filter either separate or built-in to the distribution amplifier. This is to remove unwanted noise from other transmitters and to pass only the signals required.

If your system is old then it may be filtering out the digital signals to some degree as they are on different frequencies to the analogue signals.
Also the aerial itself may be old and unsuitable for digital reception.
ths might explain why you are missing some stations.

If there isn't a filter then it's just a poor/old system in which case you may well get a better signal from your own new aerial. Worth a go I would say.

No reason you can't join onto the cable serving your flat, and re-instigate it if it's no good. The loss will be negligable. The cable will most likely be poor quality at 25 years old but will probably be good enough for the job.

I have a good ariel for my freeview and still find ITV and channel 4 to be the channels that give me grief, ive actually been in the loft tonight as i cant understand why when the ariel hasn't been touched, after 3 months they have gone and I am at one of the highest points in my town.

Have you asked if any one else in the flats has a free view set up and what they receive, it may be you won't get an excellent reception and the work could be pointless.

Also Taxis and mopeds all cause interference which can be mistaken for a bad reception.

OJ

spinbin said:
What area you live by the way?
essex about 5 miles from chelmsford

spinbin said:
No reason you can't join onto the cable serving your flat, and re-instigate it if it's no good. The loss will be negligable. The cable will most likely be poor quality at 25 years old but will probably be good enough for the job.
i am getting some new cabling to install, if i have any trouble running it in down the wall cavity to the existing tv wall point i will join into the existing cable. hopefully there will be enough space in the cavity as the wall point is for both fm and tv cables but only one is used

Odd Job said:
Have you asked if any one else in the flats has a free view set up and what they receive, it may be you won't get an excellent reception and the work could be pointless.
Everyone in the block i have spoke to has has the same reception as me, analogue varying degree of quality (prob linked to number of tv's on at the same time) digital can pick up most channels bar itv, c4 and some others but all channels loose signal every now and again ( also could be linked to number of tvs being on at the time) but none that i know have installed their own aerial

As taylortwocities said, the signals are very likely diplexed. This means that both the TV and FM signals are run on the same cable, and the wall plate has a filter to seperate them to the the TV and FM outlets. If there is room to pull another cable then you're in luck.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back