FM radio aerial: use TV coaxial cable?

You may find your radio generates heat and your radiators start singing. Apart from that I see no problem :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
8 years old it may be but I found the answers interesting. It was talked about how the lenght of the di-pole would be critical but in such a vague way I would not think many understood what was being said?

I have 50, 75 and 300 ohm inputs to my radios and yes the ones with 50 ohm do require very well made aerials I normally use a HB9CV but that's to pick up some very weak signals and for broad band commercial radios the signal is that strong I am sure you could use wet string.

No one seemed to point out that in the main the outer of the coax will work A1 without having to worry about the ohms and matching aerial to set.

The guy was not trying to transmit so matching was not really important.

What was missed was how many aerial sockets have band pass filters built into them and to combine and split signals is clearly possible but you do need a band pass filter both ends of the cable not just in the room.

I thought G7VZY may have given the design of a J pole or slim jim! He was of course right it did not need a special aerial. I have never looked at if commercial radio is horizontal or vertical polarised but I would have thought vertical so it can be picked up with a car aerial with direction problems.

73 GW7MGW Eric

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back