any side effects to breaking the connection at the tv aerial

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Current we have a loft aerial that is hard-wired (at the aerial end) with old, cheap "low-loss" coax cable to the downstairs socket. The cable makes a journey of about 8 metres so I believe replacing it with CT100 would improve signal quality significantly.

Not wanting the replace the loft aerial, I'm obviously going to have to cut the coax somewhere near the aerial and then put a flying socket it on the end and add a flying plug to the new run of CT100 cable.

I intend to use F-connectors rather than the traditional Belling-Lee TV aerial connectors since these are apparently impedence matched and don't cause reflections (see paragraph 3: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belling-Lee_connector ), and furthermore screw together so there's no chance of the plug falling out of the socket.

My question is, how close can I cut the cable to the aerial? I am concerned that if I do it too close the aerial the metal plug+socket might cause some kind of interference to the TV signal, but obviously the closer to the TV aerial it is the less the signal needs to travel down the old "low-loss" cable.

Sponsored Links
How is the co-ax actually fixed to the aerial? The ones I've had have got screw terminals under a plastic rain cover.

How is the co-ax actually fixed to the aerial? The ones I've had have got screw terminals under a plastic rain cover.
So is mine, so if you can get to the aerial replace all the cable.

there is a plastic cover, thought I can't see any obvious way to get into it, and I don't want to risk breaking it.

Sponsored Links
If there's no screw, it's probably just pressed on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back