Tingling Sensation from Metal Light Switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I had to replace a faulty 2 gang metal dimmer switch with a 2 gang metal light switch.

I replaced the live and the switched lives one for one and made sure that the metal plate was earthed in the same way as the original dimmer switch.

The replacement switch worked as planned and everything seemed fine.

However every now and then we seem to get a mild tingling feeling from the light switch ?

Can any one tell me what is wong ? Could the earth be loose ?

Should I measure for a potential voltage from the metal place to an adjacent earth connection.

Cheers in advance.

Sponsored Links
I would isolate the circuit, then check all your conductors are correctly terminated into the switch and that there is no damage to insulation on the conductors, which could be coming in contact with the metal body of the switch or metal backbox.
Once you have checked that, then energise and check the switch plate with a voltage indicator for voltage.

Hi

I had to replace a faulty 2 gang metal dimmer switch with a 2 gang metal light switch.

I replaced the live and the switched lives one for one and made sure that the metal plate was earthed in the same way as the original dimmer switch.

The replacement switch worked as planned and everything seemed fine.

However every now and then we seem to get a mild tingling feeling from the light switch ?

Can any one tell me what is wong ? Could the earth be loose ?

Should I measure for a potential voltage from the metal place to an adjacent earth connection.

Cheers in advance.

I would check all of your cable terminals for tightness.
How have you wired the earth - did the new metal switch have instructions and if so did you follow them? Most metal switches have to be earthed themselves not just the back box.

Hi

I was careful to make sure that I connected the earth wire tail ( that was there before ) from the connection point at the rear of the new metal plate to the earthing point on the back box.

Sponsored Links
Hi

When checking for voltage on the metal face plate would a simple multimeter set on Voltage AC be sufficient to measure for the potential between the face plate and earth ?

Hi

I was careful to make sure that I connected the earth wire tail ( that was there before ) from the connection point at the rear of the new metal plate to the earthing point on the back box.

Where it was joined by the cable earth?

yes there is a plastic back box in situ and I can see and earth wire come in and go out from the earthing point which I assume is the earth wire looping in and out.

The earthing wire tail which I mentioned is connected to the same common screw connection.

If you are sure all the conductors in the terminal are tight (but not too tight). That they are in their correct location and you have checked that their are no nicks in any of the conductor insulation. And you are sure you haven't disturbed any other aspect of the circuit, then you may have a fault on the switch itself. Is it possible to swop it with another similar switch that you know is not causing a problem?

If it was a fault in the switch AND the earthing connection ( CPC ) was continuous back to the consumer unit then either the MCB or RCU would trip.

Immediate action should be to replace the switch with a PLASTIC one until the earth system has been tested and it is proved there is a working and adequate earth to the metal front plate.

A tingle to a person standing on an insulated floor can became a fatal shock if the person's other hand is holding an earthed conductive item.

Hi

I bought a voltage tester probe and found that there was 110V on the metal front plate of a switched spur fitted right next to the metal light switch - this may be where the tingling feeling is coming from ????

I removed the fused spur ( not being used - no fuse installed - not sure what it was supposed to be suppling ?? ) and placed the probe tip directly onto the earth wire and measured the same.

According to the instructions the probe is suggesting an earth fault ( lightning sign ) together with the floating 110V supply ???

I checked the mains sockets in the room next door. The metal plates are reading the same 110V measurement ??

Can any one suggest what is wrong ? Has the earth failed ?

Cheers.

Hi

I am using one of these pen like probes with a single metal measurement point.

Am I misreading what it is telling me ?

Hi

Do live alone?

If not then others may be at risk of death while you procrastinate about this situation.

Please believe me when I say for £30-60 you could save a life by having this looked at by some one who has trained to sort this type of thing out.

There is a tester which with a simple test can tell whether the earth bonding is sufficient for the lighting and power points in your house. You can get one from ebay for a hundred pounds, but then you have to learn to use it and interpret the readings.

This is just a friendly warning, not intended to put you down in any way.

That volt stick will tell you nothing useful. I have seen them not indicate when there is a lethal voltage present and indicate when there is not voltage present at all.

Unlikley that anything bad will happen, but someone with wet feet would be a huge risk touching any of the electrical system as it appears to stand.

Kind regards

Martin

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back