Tingle from Dishwasher?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently added a new plastic mounted wall socket on the end of a spur. I have three wires Earth,Live and Neutral going in to the double socket. This is fine.
I then connect the dishwasher to it through an extension lead. I then touch the dishwasher and get a slight tingle as if its live? I cant work this out as the earth is in the earth socket of the faceplate, as its a plastic backbox I assume there is no need to connect an extra earth wire from the face plate to the plastic backbox for grounding it?

Any ideas on how to test through this or am I doing something obviousley wrong?

Any help welcome

Sponsored Links
Just because there is an earth wire there, it unfortunatly doesn't mean it is actually connected to earth.

Do you know where the other end of the cable connects to?

In the mean time, leave the dishwasher unplugged, and do not use the new socket.

Its an optional extra! Free Tens machine!

Many times I see the DIY person look at me when I use the earth loop impedance tester and fill in the minor work cert.

There are laid down tests which should always be completed but with the test gear costing around £750 for the set many DIY people don't test what they fit.

Many times I find faults. Normally nothing to do with what I have done although no ones perfect. Often the faults have been there for years and just never noticed.

However not you know there is something wrong you really have no option but to test it in the prescribed method. I would suggest cheaper and safer to get an electrician to test it for you.

You may be able to hire a 17th edition test set which is a earth loop impedance tester, A low ohm tester (200ma) a high ohm tester (500v) and a RCD tester but I couldn't say if you would have the knowledge required to use them?

However you say "recently added" if after June 2008 it should be RCD protected and unusual for one to get a shock without tripping the RCD which would make one wonder if the general bonding between power, water, and gas may be at fault.

Again not really DIY and I would look for some one you can use the meters as mistakes can be shocking even with power turned off.

I have recently added a new plastic mounted wall socket on the end of a spur. I have three wires Earth,Live and Neutral going in to the double socket. This is fine.
I then connect the dishwasher to it through an extension lead. I then touch the dishwasher and get a slight tingle as if its live? I cant work this out as the earth is in the earth socket of the faceplate, as its a plastic backbox I assume there is no need to connect an extra earth wire from the face plate to the plastic backbox for grounding it?

Any ideas on how to test through this or am I doing something obviousley wrong?

Any help welcome

faulty extension lead?

Sponsored Links
There are laid down tests which should always be completed but with the test gear costing around £750 for the set many DIY people don't test what they fit.
It needn't cost that much - you can get lesser known makes (e.g. Dilog) for under half that. They may not have the bells & whistles that a high-use professional values, and they may not enjoy bouncing around in the back of a van as much, but they'll work fine.

And to put that in perspective, what's the cost of attending a couple of Premier League away matches?

I wouldnt recommend a DIYer buying test gear, from reading some of the posts on here :eek:

Fault may not be at that socket of course, if there's no proper earth connection, then it could be that there is a voltage between true earth and the house earth, which is what you're feeling - this sort of situation wouldn't necessarily trip an rcd for that socket...

This happened to us when we had our extension built, dishwasher plugged into electrians ( :eek: ) extension lead, after a really good belt of leccy from the metal handle they found the extension lead wasnt earthed !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back