Fitted new double sockets -- not sure about earth

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have fitted 12 double sockets
and want to know if i have done it correctly

I put the two neutral into neutral
2 live into live

i put one earth into the earth terminal on the front plate and one into the metal backbox connection??

then i was told that you dont need to put any earth to the backbox from the ring??

Is this right?? or do i have to put both earths into the front plate and not put any onto the backbox.. or both into the backbox

front plate is plastic[/b]

Sponsored Links
You should put both earths into the socket connection, & it is said to be "good practice" to run a wire to the earth connection in the box, although there is no reg that says you must do it if you have a fixed mounting for the front plate fixing screws. All earth wires must be insulated with green & yellow sleeving.

You should put both earths into the socket connection,
I'd put it stronger than that - you must put both earth conductors into the socket.

Spokes - the way you've done it, the entire earth continuity of your socket circuit relies on the connection between the fixing screws and the metal boxes - you have very much not done it correctly, and you must put it right.

OOI, where have you fitted these sockets?

Sponsored Links
thank you for the replys ... i thought that i might have done it wrong

I am currently doing a apprentiship for a local company ... and i am at college to achieve 2330 level 3 qualifications ...

OOI, where have you fitted these sockets?

This was in my own house

I had to put some sockets onto a new ring as all of the downstairs and upstairs sockets were all on one ring and so i have split them into two rings.

I also added some sockets in two of the bedrooms....

I have now sorted this problem out..

Thank you for the confirmation.. and help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back