Tips for painting the outside of a house?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning on painting the outside of my house and would like to know if there is a set procedure i should follow.
The house has already been painted before we purchased it but its looking a bit shabby now so time for a re-coat.
What id like to know is do i just go and buy a tin of masonry paint and slap it on or do i have to wirebrush the outside of the house first then apply the paint?

Sponsored Links
If the existing paintwork is in good condition brush it down with a stiff bristle brush not a wire one, and it would be a good idea to thin your paint a little, if you intend to use waterbased just add around 5% water to help the paint to flow better.

Dec

It appears ok. The majority of the outside is pebble dashed that has been painted over. The lower parts of the house (the damp proofing bit) is flat and that has a few bits of bubbled paint on it so i know id have to brush that off first.

The areas where the paint has bubbled will need to be scraped off, and make sure that the exposed render is in good condition and not powdery, if it appears in any way to be you should apply a stabiliser first.

Dec

Sponsored Links
It appears ok. The majority of the outside is pebble dashed that has been painted over. The lower parts of the house (the damp proofing bit) is flat and that has a few bits of bubbled paint on it so i know id have to brush that off first.

pebble dashed mmmmm lovely.
im just finishing redecing my mums house,we jet washed the house down and then set about painting it the next day.

65 fooking ltrs of wall coat,dulux weather shield.ALL BY BLOODY HAND.
then we had the pleasure of painting loads of crittal windows black.
oh wot fun.

we did have a scaffold which was a blessing as we overboarded the fascia and soffits.13.8 m long x 7.5 m wide.

cant wait for the next 1.

Start by thoroughly examining the outside of the house or outbuilding ,not just the exterior walls but under the eaves, around windows and doors, and along the foundation. Look for split shingles and siding, popped nails, peeling or blistering paint, mildew, and rust stains. Once you've identified the areas that need attention, roll up your sleeves and make the repairs.then:
Scraping
Sanding
Melting
Liquid Paint Removers
Priming
Other Prep Work

by Roofing Leeds

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back