Tips on final cabling for lighting circuits

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I need to run lighting cable along/through my joists to the point where the light fitting will be. Then I need to get plasterboard tacked and skimmed to make a nice new ceiling. So the wiring needs to be out of the way when the plasterboard is tacked, yet accessible for when I drill a hole for the fitting and pull the end of the cable through.

Any tips for how I should 'temporarily' secure the cable ends?

Sponsored Links
Use cable clips to secure the cable to the joists at or near the entry piont. Leave enough cable end loose to pull though the ceiling holes later. Loop the end of cable/cables loosely so when the ceiling is in place you can pull them through. Do not tie cables into a knot as you will find it difficult to undo later!
Also if more then one cable end, clip all cables to the joist and lightly twist them together and then loop near to or above the entry point.

If all the cables are looped lightly, they should push up out of the way of the plasterboard when placing it in position. The cable clips will hold all the cables in the location near or above the entry point.

Remember, there are safe zones in joist too.

V

By the way, it might be an idea to mark each cable too to identify later!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back